Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one of the cheap refractometers (the one Dadant sells for about $75.00) and I've noticed that I can get about 1 to 2 percent difference in testing the exact same honey only testing it different environments. Let me lay out the two testing areas. The first is indoors with an air conditioned home at about 70 degrees. The second is outside being about 85 to 90 and high humidity. In both cases I calibrated the meter prior to testing and used the exact same honey sample. Trying to figure this out I talked to a friend who met me and had the same model of refractometer just a year or two older. We both calibrated our meters and test the same honey (and in the same environment) as I did earlier that day. The results were about 1 percent difference in the 2 meters. After all this testing I'm scratching my head.

My question is has anyone done any testing on the refractometers for their accuracy? I don't know of any reports on the meters or even where to look. My first thought is you get what you pay for. Sense I've got the cheap meter it's probably not that accurate. What I'm concerned about is a 1 percent difference between 18 and 19 percent in honey can be a big deal. On the other side of the coin, if I spent the money for an expensive $250 to $350 meter would it be more accurate? I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this and if anyone has done actual testing for accuracy. Thanks in advance for all the input.

Take care.

·
Registered
403 Posts

My question is has anyone done any testing on the refractometers for their accuracy? I don't know of any reports on the meters or even where to look. ...
You can try the search engine with: "Wedmore refractometer accuracy".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts