Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled honey a few weeks ago. I run all mediums. I live in the dallas tx area. I now have 4 boxes left. I would like to go into winter with 3 mediums which should be about 2 deep equivalents. I did not pull the 4th box because it was a mix of honey, pollen and brood. I checked yesterday and the top box now has nectar and there is some amount of brood in the bottom boxes. I thought about pulling the top box and let them have at it in the field but in general they need 30 pounds for the winter that they do not have and I do not want to created robbing.

please give me some thoughts.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
can always let it ride, make a split in the spring, 2 or 3 way.
there are "plans" and then there is what happens.

GG

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Swap out the brood frames with honey/ nectar frames. Make sure you put the brood frames with the other brood frames below. Then place the box now containing only nectar frames over your inner cover. They will move the nectar below. If you find that they are adding nectar to this box, place an empty medium under it. When they perceive that the nectar is not in the hive, they will move it. J

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
Swap out the brood frames with honey/ nectar frames. Make sure you put the brood frames with the other brood frames below. Then place the box now containing only nectar frames over your inner cover. They will move the nectar below. If you find that they are adding nectar to this box, place an empty medium under it. When they perceive that the nectar is not in the hive, they will move it. J
I do this process to rid my self of uncapped frames when extracting, lets me dump 20 or so of the worst frames.

I place an empty over an inner cover on late NUCs, and add the uncapped over the empty in another box. 3 , 4 or 5 frames depending on the need. Empty and catch up light ones in the same step.

GG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts