Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use mediums as main hive and add 2 medium supers for honey.
After removing my two supers last week they seem to be very packed.
Should I just let them be crowded like that and eventually they will adjust back to 3 mediums or should I put a forth medium and remove it at some point before winter? I'd rather not let them go into 4 mediums permanently as I assume next year they would want to have 6 :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I move top feeder on brood section and honey super is then above top feeder. Bees can go into honey super where they clean remaining honey and protect combs from wax moth.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
This early in the year I would be worried they would swarm if too packed.

Do you expect to make a fall honey crop?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm a first year newbee so take this with a gran of salt. I have two hives in my yard that took off from the day I installed the nuc's. The current configuration is two 10 frame deep broods, a QE and currently three well filled medium supers. I was planning on inspecting the other night but heat and heavy thunderstorms pretty much put the kybosh on that so I'm still waiting with heavy rains predicted today and tonight. We've been in a heavy white clover flow and with the rain, I'm looking at new white flowers popping up everywhere. I've been on the fence on harvesting if the clover keeps going and wait a few more weeks, add a fourth level of supers pending getting an inspection in. My other thought is to, once I figure out the harvest, is to add a deep and put the extracted frames back on top of the new deep for clean up and hopefully help build some comb on the deeps' frames for next springs splits (praying we get through the winter, mites, mice and the river don't rise). I'm figuring based upon what I see here, a strong fall flow with all of the aster, milkweed and golden rod plants I see in nearby fields and with three full supers on both hives, I'm ok on honey, if I get any more, 'll save t for the girls. I'd like to build for next year.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You raise a very good question. After emoving supers ona strong hive the bees are packed ino the lower brood chambers. Yes there is a chance they can swarm however some beekeepers onlyuse 1 deep and as the bees hatch there is mathematically room for the queen to lay. I have a similar issue and after i remove the supers, extract and I place them back on the hives for a couple of days. If I feel there is a good flow that is going on I will leave 1 super on for them to have expansion room. I will however remove them before the rag weed starts as I am not interested in this honey. Then it is time to treat for mites when the supers are removed. Regardless of the instructions on the various mite treatment I do not recommend leaving the supers on while treating. Alsoit is important not to leave the supers on too long past you major flow as the bees will move it lower into their brood chambers and store it for the cold months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts