Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the bit about black pollen reminded me of this. Earlier this spring I noticed lots of bright red pollen coming in, and I tracked it to several massive poison ivy vines in the fencerows. I'm not concerned with the oils from the leaves being in the honey, but here's my question/thought. Would eating that pollen help to stimulate immunity from said evil plant? I don't get rashes, so I wouldn't be a good test subject, and so far no one has been willing to volunteer. Any takers? My wife says no.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
No way!! I had never broke out either until one time. Now I have to be very careful. We also have poison sumac here and that is just as bad as poison ivy. I have heard the bees like sumac and I know the deer even eat it. But, it tears me up for a week or so. I would not go messing with it unless you have to. Just because you have never broke out doesn't mean you won't. JMHO

·
Registered
25 Posts
not trying to hijack thread but could bees make "poisionous" honey?

by using pollen/nectar primarily from plants that are toxic to humans?

just curious,
sean

·
Registered
50 Posts
The honey from poison oak/ivy should be fine. There is a bee supply store here in Oregon (Glory Bee) that actually sells poison oak honey. Apparently they don’t have ton’s available, and it’s sort of a boutique honey. Although I’ve never tried it yet, it sure would be interesting.

Now, the pollen is another story. I’d be VERY hesitant to try any pollen that had poison oak/ivy in it. If someone is very allergic, I think this could lead to a systemic reaction. Maybe there is someone out here with contradictory information, but I would be very cautious with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to admit it, I did try the pollen. Not much, to be sure, but I had to try. I didn't have any ill effects, but then I've never reacted to any of the poisons (ivy, oak, sumac) even when weedeating or hand-pulling. I'm going to research and see if any of the active oils would be present in the pollen. I have heard of honeys that are poisonous to humans, but can't remember what plants.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Oleander and Azaleas so they say. I know Azaleas aren't allowed to be around places where children are babysat and schools due to the nature.....i know one lady who owns 3 daycares and had to rip out the Azaleas.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Great info Nathan. As one who's very allergic and gets it 4 to 5 times a year and has indeed gotten it from Mangos it was interesting to read in depth about it. I'm careful to avoid it but I simply like to hunt and explore in the woods too much. Tecnu does work and Ivy block does help to avoid it but you simply can't avoid it sometimes. String trimming and mowing under trees in the is a recipe for trouble becaue of where the birds "deposit" the seeds.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Im not allergic to anything except Wylars coolaid...LOL. My wife was weeding once(she has never again) and by the 2nd day after, they had her in the ER with poison Ivy over 3/4 of her body...it was UNREAL!!!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
When I was a younger man I used to work for a company that trimmed trees out of the power lines for the major electric co. here in OKC. When we would come across a tree that was covered with PI they would send me up to clear it all off before the rest of the crew came up.....until one early spring day I did the usual and low and behold, next day I was covered and miserable!! Stay clear of it now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts