Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found Red Buckwheat in both pinkish and red are so beautiful.
Birds, butterfly and bees love them too.
Not sure if they are good for honey bees though.
Take a look here: www.seedhunt.com/images/eriogonum grande rubescens_5632.JPG
What do you thing?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I planted a couple of acres of buckwheat last year. Like you all, my bees seemed to only work it in the mornings. My honey was extra dark this year and I contribute it to the buckwheat, it also has a strong rich flavor. I'm not sure the buckwheat is the reason, but it's the first time I had honey that dark and it's the first time I've raised buckwheat.:scratch:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Beepro-------link not working today. I have native buckwheat--low grow perennial....late white flowered attractive to bees. Maybe that's just what locals call it.
Can you help with red buckwheat site?
Tom

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, buz. The link not working anymore. Guess he did not pay his internet bill, eh.
Thanks, Matt for the nice photo.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can try a net search as those are not that common to grow.
I am not sure if the bees will work them though.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very impressive buckwheat. Thanks for the site.
The 3'x3' gigantic is the one I like other than the pinkish type.
But they don't have the all reddish one. Maybe they change color over
time. Not even sure if the honey bees will like them or not. But the butterflies sure do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I planted a couple of acres of buckwheat last year. Like you all, my bees seemed to only work it in the mornings. My honey was extra dark this year and I contribute it to the buckwheat, it also has a strong rich flavor. I'm not sure the buckwheat is the reason, but it's the first time I had honey that dark and it's the first time I've raised buckwheat.:scratch:
The buckwheat will give dark, really different and strong flavor honey. Any buckwheat that I know of only has nectar in the mornings. If you had pure buckwheat honey it is a dark brown almost black and taste is almost like molasses. At least that's my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts