Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get the bees to clean up the frames without destroying the comb. Seems lik I read it in another thread but cant find it. Thanks

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
If you are talking after extraction, just put it on or near the hive. If it is burr or brace comb or cut-out same - just put it on top of the hive. My Cordovans do not rob like Italians so I can get away with honey and sugars around the hive. They do not reuse the wax as much as you might think. You can melt it for personal use or several companies buy beeswax.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You can make big mistakes like me :)
I thought, I will feed the bees so they draw the honey super to get read for the flow. Then let them rob it out leaving nice clean wax.
Problem is I timed it wrong and I think the flow is started - put the super out to rob and only about 12 bees would ever come to it.
So I looked very silly rinsing the syrup out of the comb (don't have an extractor).
I of course put the comb out so any watery syrup might be robbed - bees showed up and started fighting over it :D
Sometimes I wonder if the animals aren't laughing.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trouble Im having when I put them out is that theyre tearing up the comb. If it makes any sort of difference theyre italian.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
They're robbing it. To aviod that I put extracted supers directly on hives and they clean it up without thinking they are robbing it becuase it's now part of their hive. The times I leave them out to get "cleaned" they invariably rob it such that they damage any newly drawn comb. If the comb is older (thicker) and may have had some brood in it at some point they don't seem able to damage it at all.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have heard (I think Mr Bush) if you spread the frames out so they can get in and out without fighting.

Mike

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I got lazy last year and put 12 extracted supers out to get "cleaned up" last July with 8 hives. The Supers were standing on their sides, so the combs would stay perpendicular and the tops and bottoms would be exposed. They tore it up and after reviewing the wax dust and exposed plastic foundation I said "never again". Since then (and before as well) I put them on the hives themselves. They will sometimes centralize the remaining honey in the middle frames but they won't tear it up. I also had them completely but unexpectedly refill the supers one year with early Fall soybean honey. I keep hoping it will happen again but to no avail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts