Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try and run three nucs as if they were full size hives, and I expect a lot of interaction since they could quickly outgrow their space. I would like a scheme for recording what I did with each box. Is it a new split? Am I trying to start a hive with a queen cell?

I could name each box and keep a notebook, but I was hoping for some way to store the record for each hive with the hive.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
25 hives
823 Posts
I'm going to try and run three nucs as if they were full size hives, and I expect a lot of interaction since they could quickly outgrow their space. I would like a scheme for recording what I did with each box. Is it a new split? Am I trying to start a hive with a queen cell?

I could name each box and keep a notebook, but I was hoping for some way to store the record for each hive with the hive.

Any suggestions?
I use the Bee plus app on Iphone, I just edit and write in the notes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Any suggestions?
HOLD OFF - JUST FOUND A WHOLE BUNCH OF ANSWERS TO THIS QUESTION. THANKS ANYWAY!

·
Registered
8,402 Posts

Any suggestions?
Number the hives and have a lined paper notebook in your vehicle or keep it in a box by your hives, a mailbox is cheap and easy. Mailbox also has smoker fuel, a spare hive tool etc. Write it down.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts

Any suggestions?
THREE ? - yes - my suggestion is not to make a meal of such a small number. If your nucs have telescopic covers, then pin a sheet of paper on their undersides, and write whatever you want to on that. No need to get fancy or complicated with such a small number. If they don't have those sort of covers, then tape the paper on the underside of whatever you use to keep the rain off.
In my SCUBA-diving days we used to make notes underwater by writing on a piece of white Formica (#) (around 7x5") with a soft pencil - that sort of thing could be left on top of the hive, held down by a brick.

Yes - those colonies will quickly outgrow their box - maybe think nuc-stacks: 5-over-5-over-5 ?
LJ

(*) - surface lightly 'sanded' with a green abrasive pad, to produce a matt finish.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THREE ? - yes - my suggestion is not to make a meal of such a small number. If your nucs have telescopic covers, then pin a sheet of paper on their undersides, and write whatever you want to on that. No need to get fancy or complicated with such a small number. If they don't have those sort of covers, then tape the paper on the underside of whatever you use to keep the rain off.
In my SCUBA-diving days we used to make notes underwater by writing on a piece of white Formica (#) (around 7x5") with a soft pencil - that sort of thing could be left on top of the hive, held down by a brick.

Yes - those colonies will quickly outgrow their box - maybe think nuc-stacks: 5-over-5-over-5 ?
LJ

(*) - surface lightly 'sanded' with a green abrasive pad, to produce a matt finish.
Little_John - do you have any experience with maintaining small colonies? - Mike

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I use a 6"x 6" piece of thin sheet metal/aluminum flashing for each hive and mark brief notes with a permanent black felt pen. Can put it face down under the brick on top or fix it to the hive with a stapler. I keep track of the queen( source, date installed, and whatever else you want) with a small piece of sheet metal stapled to the front of lower brood box and again permanent felt markers.

Reactions: Tarheeler

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
616 Posts
Little_John - do you have any experience with maintaining small colonies? - Mike
Thats all I have are 5 frame nucs. I'm still a newb but you cant find a better comb , split or overwintering size hive hands down. Now producing honey??? You will be stacking them high. So this spring I am going to a 10 frame brood chamber, adding a 1 inch shim on each side of it. Then stcking 5 frame nucs on top of it. Everything is all deep. I have to make a custom lid but Psst. I love nucs. And I just write on top of the lids. I went from 3 packages to 12 hives last summer. There are very few hollow trees with a cavity the size of a 10 frame. Thats why alot of hives starve in the winter. they evolved in trees.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Hi Mike

Yes - but in a totally different environment. My experience is almost exclusively with small colonies, as my immediate area is extremely poor in nectar forage (fortunately we have pollen here in abundance) and I'm compelled to feed supplemental sugar in order to maintain a reasonable number of hives - so really large colonies are never created within this apiary. It would be kinda pointless. :)

Indeed, this year I'm moving towards frames even smaller than those of Gallup (11 1/4 x 9, instead of Gallup's 11 1/4 x 11 1/4) - my intention being to over-winter on 6 of these frames, just as Doolittle did. Providing my winter survival is maintained at 100%, my long-term goal will then be to create what could be termed 'a static nuc-based apiary', more-or-less as described in:
This approach just seems to me to be the most logical and efficient way of keeping bees - and almost mirrors Doolittle's own methodology, of which I'm already conversant.

BTW - I perfectly understand your wish to have notes 'located at the hive' - I think that makes a helluva lot of sense. FWIW - because of the number of colonies I have, my own preference is to maintain two computer text files: one is an 'Apiary Status' file in which I keep track of genetic lines, the number of Q+ve colonies etc. The second file is a 'Beekeeping TO DO' file, which is in diary format - I find the facility which this gives me to plan ahead, especially when queen-rearing, is invaluable. I much prefer to be able to plan the day's work beforehand whilst still in the house, before entering the apiary - so I then know what to take with me, and - within reason - what to expect. I'm getting on in years, and my memory is no longer what it once was, so I really do need to write things down - else they just get forgotten.
'best
LJ

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
616 Posts
I think I like that idea. trying to visualize the shim though. Is that to keep the edges of the nuc and the brood chamber aligned? - Mike
Well if I could access my hives right now I could measure them. But I banged my ankle up. So Anyways the closest thing I know of is a setup by a guy named Micheal Palmer. Where he has 2 4 frame nucs sitting on top of a 10 frame hive. They do sell the setup at better bee.
But the reason I'm adding shims to my 10 frame brood chamber is because I already have like 60 5 frame deep boxes. And when you set 2 5 frame nucs side by side on top of a 10 frame box, they are about 2 inches wider than the 10 frame box.
I will see if I can get a pic right quick. I have my boys running around here. :)

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,479 Posts
Well if I could access my hives right now I could measure them. But I banged my ankle up. So Anyways the closest thing I know of is a setup by a guy named Micheal Palmer. Where he has 2 4 frame nucs sitting on top of a 10 frame hive. They do sell the setup at better bee.
But the reason I'm adding shims to my 10 frame brood chamber is because I already have like 60 5 frame deep boxes. And when you set 2 5 frame nucs side by side on top of a 10 frame box, they are about 2 inches wider than the 10 frame box.
I will see if I can get a pic right quick. I have my boys running around here. :)
Dude just build a bottom 2 chamber box the exact size you need, and then a BB to match.
set 2 of your NUCs side by side measure, build.

GG

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
616 Posts
Dude just build a bottom 2 chamber box the exact size you need, and then a BB to match.
set 2 of your NUCs side by side measure, build.

GG
I don't want to have nucs as a brood chamber. I think the easiest way to be able to stack alot of nucs on top of each other is just set them side by side and start stacking.
I dont know if what I am attempting will even work. But I do know if I have a 10 frame for a brood chamber, I can keep the queen down in it. The bees will go crazy comb building and filling the nuc chambers above. With a QE because I have small cell bees the QE shouldnt effect them.
Just trying to turn nucs into not only comb building machines. But also honey machines now too.
??? We will see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts