Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a solar fence charger, was wondering if anyone has recommendations of brands you like, brands to avoid, or what you use that works well for keeping cattle and bears away from hives.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I prefer Zareba Chargers. Matched with a woven electric netting is an unbeatable combination.
bears.jpg

A combination of a good fence and eating the bears is 100% effective. Bear is actually quite good, like the finest beef you will ever taste.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I prefer the Par-Mac 6 volt solar fencer. They seem to hold up better and longer then the competitors models. They also carry a 2 year warranty. The 12 volt model carries a bigger punch, but a bigger price tag and only a 12 month warranty.

I run the 6 volt models and usually have about 7K-8K available at the fence. It's kept the bears at bay for years. I run a 4 wire system (all hot) with the bottom wire about 4-6 inches off the ground. I only use 1, 6 foot ground rod (some recommend more). I use the 1/2" tape.

Hope this helps.

Wisnewbee

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have had good luck with the Parmak 12 volt solar chargers. Very robust and easy to get parts. Shop around on the internet and ebay to get them cheaper than list price. I have a couple Parmak 6 volt solar chargers that I will be trying out this coming year.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Yuck, we tried bear recently. Greasy, and better with barbeque sauce.

I tried a solar fence charger from Southern States years ago, on a short fence around a small garden. The internal 12 V gel battery kept going dead. I substituted an RV battery, and the charger itself burned out. I replaced the charger and the new one burned out. I don't think I ever got a year of service from one. That was years ago. Now I'm in the market again.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Yuck, we tried bear recently. Greasy, and better with barbeque sauce.
Only when the person who processed it doesn't know what they are doing. It is the only game meat I actually pay a professional butcher to process. When done right it is prime:thumbsup: There is a reason it brings 4 K a lb on the Jap black market.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Laketrout, thanks, I see they have the Parmak too. The picture of the fence does not show up, do you have one you can post?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I have an older red snapper 60 mile charger that was designed to be used with a 6 volt tractor battery. I a got solar panel from harbor freight and configured it to charge a 6 volt wildlife innovations feeder/trail camera battery the entire thing fits into a plaino fishing tackle box with a ratchet strap attached I can put it on any fence post or tree and face it in any direction the charger will run for a month on the battery without the solar charger. With the charge I have never had it go dead. and it has been in use for over 15 years. I do have to replace the battery about once a year. $8.99 at Wal mart or tractor supply.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Interesting product ... I had not noticed it there. How are their fence chargers?

My plan is to use 7' x 42" remesh panels (Lowes) strapped to 4x4 fence posts in concrete on about 44 " centers. This gives a 7' high fence that should be sturdy enough (I saw a similar fence used as a tiger cage). I'll ground the remesh, and put several runs of high-visibility electric fence tape outside it. Anything getting across the remesh and hot tape should get "a strong negative reinforcement." The overkill is for curious black bears. This should stop skunks and raccoons as well. Even deer casually rubbing could topple a hive.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The fence panels are pretty sturdy but a persistent bear could probably get in so they want the panels baited with bacon or peanut butter so the bear gets a good shock in the mouth and won't be back . We had bears this summer feeding in a corn field right next to my fence and I didn't even see the bait disturbed . Its a pretty easy setup no digging fence post holes just pound them in the ground about 1 1/2 ft. or until there sturdy.There is a limit on the number of hives that will fit into the 16 x 16 space , right now with two 8 ft. hive stands 6 hives will be no problem, but I've already been thinking, all I have to do to enlarge is take one side out add two more panels and put the end back on .

I've been told the parmack 12 is one of the best with a real good jolt for bears !!!! Shop around a bit , a Amish store had them in the 250.00 range .

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I have not found an all-in-one solar fence charger I like. I prefer a 12V charger with a solar panel and deep cycle battery. Overpowered, expensive, and 100% effective. That's how I like to do things. Well, I don't like the expensive part, but it helps the other two.

I have not had an animal make it through my electrified net fence where I keep my chickens. The chickens are going down the road, but the rest of the system is staying to protect the bees.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I run 3 parmak SP12 volt units in separate yards. I love it. Depending on soil conditions I get 9-10K+ volts.

The most important component on the fencer is the amount of joules behind the voltage. The parmak is 2.5 joules. Talking to the state wildlife officials. They recommend a minimum to 2 joules for bears.

You can have the best fencer on the planet but if your grounding is not adequate, it's useless. In my more sandy out yards I have 6-8 grounding rods.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have seen some of the best fences thwarted. Last summer a bear dug under one of my customers bear fence to get at the hives. I have also seen them scale local structure and drop into a yard from above.

Keeping bears out is multi-factorial; and even when you think you have all the basis covered a really hungry bear will find and exploit your weak spots.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I agree. It's a deterrent not a barrier.

I know my yards have been visited. A couple years ago I pulled a couple deadouts out of the fenced yard for a quick look through. I left them there for the night. They next day. The boxes were scattered and smashed with claw marks in the honey.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
That's why I chose a grounded tiger fence plus charger. But as another level of deterrent, a .30-06 could work. In another thread someone was recommending bear meat. I prefer venison, but I know someone who likes it. The hives will be in our front yard, so its not like defending an outyard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts