Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on keeping a swarm when you don't have drawn comb for them. Can you just give them frames and syrup for a few days, using entrance reducers to help contain them. I've had one abscond on me and I don't want to lose any more. thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
giving them a frame a open brood is almost certain to keep them in the hive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
put the queen excluder under the brood box with the undrawn frames in then put the swarm in to the brood box followed by the crown board and your sugar syrup feeder on top of the crown board making sure to cover the wholes in the crown board (use a feeder that doesn't require removing to refill). you will need a empty super box to allow you to put the roof on with the feeder in place. only check the feeders syrup level for the first week or two then you should be able to inspect your newly established swarm or colony as it would then be called. a 1:1 sugar syrup (500g sugar in to 500ml freshly boiled water stir until all sugar is dissolved and allowed to cool to room temp) can be scaled up for making in bulk) is best for bees to draw out comb. remove the queen excluder when either you see the some of the combs have being drawn out or when you see the queen is laying eggs

·
Registered
887 Posts
sometimes you can put them in an empty box and they take up housekeeping immediately....sometimes you can put them on drawn comb and they will leave the next day.....if you have a little brood to give them, that is your best chance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
checked them today,after 3 days they are going crazy building nice straight comb. they have filled about 3/4 of a deep frame so far. I'm happy and plan to leave them alone for the next week. Thanks for the advice guys. bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts