Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to purchase some glass jars for our honey this year and I was wondering if anybody has a recommendation on where we should start?

Do you have any sources that you've had a great experience with?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I used to buy jars from McLure's Maple and Honey Products, or is it Honey and Maple, I forget, from Littleton, NH. I don't think that they carry a lot of different sizes of jars, but they can get them from Lancaster, PA from gamber Honey Company, aka Dutch Gold. McLure's is a subsidiary of Dutch Gold.

Now, since I am not taking honey to NH, I get my jars from Wixson's Honey Inc, Dundee, NY. But that would be a long drive for you, I'd imagine.

What size of jar(s) are you looking for and in what quantity?

There is Betterbee also. They are closer to you than Wixson.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Wide mouth mason/ball jars. You can catch them at Walmart before the canning season starts and they are the cheapest I've found. They have a space opposite their log so you can afix your label. people round here expect "Wild country, local, etc to be in Ball Mason jars. If you decide to do cut comb,,,the wide mouths are the way to go anyway.
2 cents:)

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
You're pretty much going to need a local source for glass. Shipping is very high and many places will ship glass only at the customers risk. I really prefer the queenline style jars. I feel that it adds to "look" of the product. Sorry, but I really don't like canning jars, particularly those with the two-part canning lids - always messy and hard to open.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you have a Big Lots store in your area, they usually have the best price. Quart jars are the best buy for the price. Pints do not cost half of the price of a quart jar.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Yesterday our "Big Lots" qt jars were $7.75 per doz last week "menards" had qts fpr $6.75 but that sale is off now :(

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Normally, pint canning jars hold 1 1/2 pounds of honey, quart jars hold 3 pounds of honey.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Wally world (wal-mart) has a gallon mason jar here, but it's figgin $10! I was going to get it and fill it up for the people that have some of my hives on their property, but $10?!
I bought the bears my first year. I had about 72 lbs of honey so I only used about 100 of them, I bought bulk (250) because it was a better deal. So I stored 150 or so. I will use some of those this year, maybe for a few people that I did extractions for as a "free comp", and sell a few, but this year, I am mainly using pint and quart mason jars. I'll prob knock a little off the price of the next jar if they return the first.

C2

·
Registered
629 Posts
Check out the Wal-Mart deli, also check with the small private Bakery's. Grocery store Deli's also have plastic buckets that are food grade. You can't beat FREE.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ask at the Costco Bakery. I've got 2 gallon and 5 gallon buckets from them, you may have to ask them to save the lids for you. If you are nice, and tell them you'll come back on a certain day, early, they'll even save the lids and run it all through their dishwasher. At least they do for me.

Pugs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts