Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that the forum is now listing related posts from several years ago?

I have seen it a few times, and I am wondering if it is contributing to some of the old (10+ year inactive) threads becoming active again.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, but I imagine that over time people will learn to not reawaken dead threads.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Search on new forum works better.
This means finding old threads is easier.
This means the old threads are being reused because people actually find stuff (for a change).

A good thing IMO.
Why have 55 threads on the subject when 2-3 threads would do just the same and better.
Why post the same question over and over again when it was answered 55 times - find one of those answers and add to it IF really want to (or not).

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I too have been caught by the “recommended reading” and inadvertently reviving old threads. While it’s good to find these, I wish instead that area had “New Topics”

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Search on new forum works better.
This means finding old threads is easier.
This means the old threads are being reused because people actually find stuff (for a change).

A good thing IMO.
Why have 55 threads on the subject when 2-3 threads would do just the same and better.
Why post the same question over and over again when it was answered 55 times - find one of those answers and add to it IF really want to (or not).
I agree with the improved power of the search function.

I see some possible negatives in reviving an old, long, meandering thread to ask a question like, what is the best recipe for 2:1 sugar syrup? Also some older threads have a fairly high content of ideas which were supported at the time but recently pretty much disparaged: It can be interesting to go back and study these developments but I dont know whether it is a good use of forum resources. Eventually some things have to be dumpstered.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
553 Posts
The search is not that great. Sometimes it doesn't work for certain words or phrases. I started a new thread because I couldn't find, by search and looking at the last 2 weeks of posts, to find what I was looking for.

I do Agree that asking questions BEFORE you obviously have not read through the forum is irritating. I think I just read one that asked about Flow hives that I posted a list from the search which was easy.

I don't mind upping an old thread if there is more content to it then 1 sentence.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,209 Posts
I'm going to see if admin can close old threads that have not been posted to in a while. Info would still be there to search, but do we really need someone offering advice on a 14 year old thread?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I'm going to see if admin can close old threads that have not been posted to in a while. Info would still be there to search, but do we really need someone offering advice on a 14 year old thread?
Closed but not removed, appears to me a good option; if a person wants to clip a phrase from an old thread or reference it in a new post that should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I find the "fossil" threads interesting, as I always look up the OP nym for "last activity" date. The "churn" in hobby beekeeping is enormous, and is under discussed.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
553 Posts
What admin should do is make sure that the Default listing for posting is Newest before Oldest.
I think maybe that is why there are old bump ups by new members

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
177 Posts
Do not have a strong opinion either way on this issue. Other than it is nice when they know they are bumping an old thread and state so at the start.

Have noticed while reading old threads that anyone who has not logged in since the forum upgrade lacks a flag beside their user name. Useful clue as to if they are still around and likly to respond. Obviously this will fade with time and those with the nation flag might no longer be here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is nice to see changes in answers over time. I have read old beekeeping books, many free online. Same problems as today with the exception of mites. Believe me someone has tried just about every conceivable thing related to bees.
If this tech was available 100 years ago we beekeepers would be better off today.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
It's annoying and once revived, I think its new. Maybe the date has to be bigger, or I have to pay more attention. The dangerous aspect is newbies watching old youtube vids and reviving things like fogging with mineral oil. Sure it's great to know the history of what has been tried and failed, but new beekeepers may not know the end of the story. Some threads should come with a warning label.. J

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I hate to close old threads. Seems like a much better solution to me is to revise the recommendation algorithm to negatively weight age in the search function. This should make the newer threads appear at the top of the list while the older at the bottom -- or not at all.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
553 Posts
Closing them doesn't loose them.
If someone wants to ask a question that info is in a closed thread they just start a NEW thread and post a link to the other thread.
Pretty simple, I would say anything over 2 years old should be closed

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
It is "clicks" and traffic counts that pays the rents for the forum. Probably a different value system than what gave birth to the original. There used to be a lot more folks hanging out here exchanging ideas, folks who do it for a living or a major hobby. Now it seems that for filler the stage is set that encourages old threads be trolled thru that are only computer selected for relevance or enduring value.

·
Super Moderator
11,025 Posts
Some of these "old" threads were revived by spammers, hoping to bury their spam links where they thought moderators would not see them. So, see my comments about changes to message editing time limits, here:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts