Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made 2 nucs 3 weeks ago that failed to raise queens, and refused to accept a new one. I was thinking of putting both nucs in a box and doing a newspaper combine.

My reason is that I don't want to risk 2 hives if something goes wrong. The hive I want to combine with is an Artificial swarm 3 days ago from a very strong Russian hive. I used 2 frames with the queen, and after the field bees came back it is as strong as a nuc.

Thoughts?

NBL

·
Registered
915 Posts
How do you know they failed to raise queens? It's too early to have eggs/brood and a virgin queen is hard to spot? I'd say combing is fine....but I'd be 100% positive there isn't a virgin queen or a newly mated queen in one of the nucs that hasn't started laying yet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you know they failed to raise queens? It's too early to have eggs/brood and a virgin queen is hard to spot? I'd say combing is fine....but I'd be 100% positive there isn't a virgin queen or a newly mated queen in one of the nucs that hasn't started laying yet.
I checked on these regularly and saw no queen cups with larvae or queen cells. Is not too hard to thoroughly check nucs. I made 3 nucs total, the #3 is doing well, queen set to emerge in a day or so.
I will give them one more week, as I may have been wrong about the demise of the new queens. ( I usually forget my glasses when I inspect. I can spot larvae, but just can never see eggs.)

Thanks for the reply,

NBL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts