Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I know there are lots of opinions on the different ratios of granulated sugar/water feed. I would like to make my own mix in a metal 55-gallon drum. I have a band heater that will help bring the sugar to solution. I have access to 25 pound bags of sugar. How much sugar and water should I plan to use?

I will place straw on top and place 100 yards from hives.
I have 10 hives that I want to feed in a single day.
I have done this before in 5-gallon buckets successfully.

Thanks in advance...

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,315 Posts
To make 50 gallons of 1:1, you will need 250 pounds of sugar and then fill the drum to within a few inches of the top with water. Stir until dissolved. Add around a 1/2 cup of bleach to keep it fresh.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A US gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon. 50 gallons would weigh 417 lbs.

So 400 lbs of sugar for 1:1.

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
A US gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon. 50 gallons would weigh 417 lbs.

And that is supposed to fit in the 55 gallon drum? Me thinks about 25 gallons will end up on the floor. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was making syrup like this, unfortunately my exact calculations are at home. But if I remember correctly 1 gallon of water and 8 pounds of sugar makes about 1.5 gallons final volume. So I was doing ~35 gallons of water and 300 pounds of sugar per batch. I used a submersible sump pump to mix.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Wonder how this worked...lol

3 gal of water and 25 lbs of sugar make about 5 gal of syrup. I'd just multiply each by 10, gets you close.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, I made 5 gallons of 2:1 syrup yesterday. 2.5 gallons of water and 40 pounds of sugar filled the 5-gallon bucket to the brim. So, multiply by 10: 25 gallons of water and 400 pounds of sugar to make 50 gallons or so.

To make 1:1, you could probably use 30-35 gallons of water and 240 pounds of sugar to get pretty near a full container; 35 and 280 would probably be near the brim.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Please ignore my comments, didn't think the ratio through well at all at 5AM.

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Please ignore my comments, didn't think the ratio through well at all at 5AM.
Your ratios are fine, the finished product volume is off just a teeny bit.:lookout:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am not sure I am sold on the feed supplements and other essential oils.

Is it beneficial to add salt to the mix? I'd seen a reference a while back they preferred 0.1% weight salt in water, so 1/2 a pound in your 500 gallon drum.

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Bleach degrades into salt so if you add bleach, no additional salt is necessary. In the winter, when I feed 2:1 and no bleach is required, I add Vitamins and Electrolytes Plus per Lauri's recommendation. Add essential oils if it makes you feel good. My opinion is that the bees do not need them and it is a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have fed for 40 years and I tried the essential oils for a couple years.The only thing that I have ever seen was the wintergreen in grease patties did get rid of tracheal mites years ago.I thought it was helping with beetles but not using it now and I have less beetles without it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts