Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Reasonably Inexpensive - Fast OAV

4838 41
I’m ready to switch from the wand type OAV heater that takes 5 minutes per hive to something that will treat a couple of hives per minute. But, I’m not ready to break the bank. I figure that if these things were mass produced, they’d go for $99. I also realize that beekeeping tools are not exactly a mass market. So the question is, is there a reasonably priced OAV sublimator yet?

It looks like the Provap 110 is on sale for $275. Is that my best option?
Reactions: Paremil and Penni
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,623 Posts
There are many for sale in the "For Sale" section of the forums being made be members.

I bought Johno's a couple years and it has hundreds and hundreds of uses. Takes 30-45 seconds per hive. Just about the amount of time it takes to prep the next hive.

· Registered
1,133 Posts
I've had two Varrox wands and bought a ProVap 110 last Spring. It depends on your level of interest in Beekeeping and where you plan on going with your apiary. If you're a casual hobbyist with 2 or 3 hives, the wands are fine (I always had a fear of setting the hives on fire with the open pan). Last Spring, I went from 5 to 34 hives and buying the ProVap was a no brainer-wish it was on sale then, but I am on the fence right now-that sale price is extremely attractive for a second unit.

A few things you should think about-first, if you go with a pan, you'll need a car sized battery to drag around to your hives. Even if you can drive up to them, the power cords are only 3 or 4 feet long so your bumpers probably right up on the hives. Second, on the ProVap, you'll need a nice long extension cord and if you're not within a reasonable distance of a 110 outlet, you'll need an inverter (from the truck/car) of at least 1000 watts ($50 harbor freight-buy a 2-year warrantee too, I've replaced one already). It comes down to your plans and available money like everything else. I just placed a $7000 order for new woodenware and am cringing on spending any more money but $275 for a backup ProVap may be too hard to resist.

· Registered
288 Posts
I have johnos unit but he no longer makes them. The pro vap at that price would be an instant purchase for me. Pro made unit at a hobbyist price point. I'm actually considering buying one and I don't necessarily need it. Don't think you can go wrong.

· Premium Member
2,859 Posts
A 500 watt inverter is good enough for most vaporizers available for around $30 to $40. My vaporizers are rated at 275 watts, Provap used to be 250 watts but now have increased to 350 watts. With this sudden drop in price of imported vaporizers I have a suspicion that there is a chinesium vaporizer soon to hit the market however my prices will still remain competitive.

· Registered
2,461 Posts
I started with a Varrox wand and graduated to the ProVap 110. My ProVap display panel is starting to short a little on me (though the unit still works fine after hundreds of treatments) so I bought a Lorrobees for $270. I have not used the Lorrobees yet, but I like the design as you can leave it in place without holding it during the treatment. You can do this with the ProVap as well, but it puts stress on the copper nozzle and will ultimately bend it over time. Also, check that ProVap price.

· Registered
Zone 8b
694 Posts
Careful boys, The silicone cap can block the outlet tube on the models with a high mounted peter tube!

I made a teflon cap for my Lorob, but I'm not happy and there were some setbacks. Have not yet found a 500° o-ring.
The teflon swelled up also.

Nice case Johno!

· Registered
1,133 Posts
A 500 watt inverter is good enough for most vaporizers available for around $30 to $40. My vaporizers are rated at 275 watts, Provap used to be 250 watts but now have increased to 350 watts. With this sudden drop in price of imported vaporizers I have a suspicion that there is a chinesium vaporizer soon to hit the market however my prices will still remain competitive.
I bought the ProVap because you had gone on hiatus (I understand and am doing that now from the day job). My buddy has one of yours and it is a **** (keep getting sensored) darn nice machine. On the wattage I still would use a larger wattage inverter because some days I'm running 100 feet of 12 wire cord and don't have the time for any drop.

· Premium Member
2,859 Posts
For a little history on these types of vaporizers you can find a posting on DIY vaporizer in the sticky section on page 12 and post # 238 dated October the 29th 2016 and I would claim this is the first time that this type of vaporizer was used in the USA. You can find the first Oxavap post introducing the ProVap when the first 12 were imported after November the 16th 2016. However I did not start manufacturing them for sale until late 2018 after many requests from beekeepers who could not make their own. By January 2021 after being overwhelmed with orders and having supplied near 3000 units to beekeepers in the USA I decided to take a a break, after 6 months of R and R I re designed the vaporizer and again manufactured vaporizers for sale. Some may remember the old vaporizers below.
Circuit component Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electronic component

· Registered
4,414 Posts
There has never been a problem with the silicone caps blocking the outlet of the Easy Vap. I have been using my Easy Vap now for around 4 years treating around 40 colonies 12 to 14 times a year and it is still going strong.
We use 2 of johno's Easy Vaps in our operation and couldn't be happier with their performance. One is the top outlet type and the other the bottom outlet model, just like in the picture above.
We have not had a single problem with either.
I am honored to do business with the person who developed the tool; openly, and selflessly publishing the materials list, and procedures for all to see and manufacture on their own. Who does something like this anymore?
Best johno,
clyderoad

· Registered
1 Posts
I’m ready to switch from the wand type OAV heater that takes 5 minutes per hive to something that will treat a couple of hives per minute. But, I’m not ready to break the bank. I figure that if these things were mass produced, they’d go for $99. I also realize that beekeeping tools are not exactly a mass market. So the question is, is there a reasonably priced OAV sublimator yet?

I have used the OA with vaporizer the last 4 years I had bees. Not only economical but my hives were big and healthy, and I didn't lose another hive.

· Registered
Opps! started with one hive, now up to 7
418 Posts
Careful boys, The silicone cap can block the outlet tube on the models with a high mounted peter tube!

I made a teflon cap for my Lorob, but I'm not happy and there were some setbacks. Have not yet found a 500° o-ring.
The teflon swelled up also.

Nice case Johno!
How does the cup block the tube ? I have two friends with vaporizers and I called them after I read this and they said that theirs has a ridge that the cup sits on before it reaches the tube hole and they can't see how it would go pass unless the cup was worn somehow.

· Registered
9,093 Posts
Where the discharge tub exits from the insulation does not relate to where its inner end penetrates the shell of the cup. I think someone is guessing that the high discharge tube goes straight into the side of the vessel.

· Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I cannot judge other vaporizers, but with mine the bottom of the cap ends up above the outlet, but even so the cap is very tapered so there is a larger area around the inside of the cap than the area of the outlet. As the cap wears this area would actually increase, to block off the outlet tube you would really have to jam that cap down a long way and would probably need to rig up a press of some sort to do so. I heat up water in the bowl of every vaporizer I make to make sure that there is no blockage of the outlet as part of my testing procedure so know that this has never happened.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
“With this sudden drop in price of imported vaporizers I have a suspicion that there is a chinesium vaporizer soon to hit the market”

This is what I was thinking. Is anyone seeing any other signs that this is coming?

· Registered
1,064 Posts

I just received my pallet version of @johno’s vaporizer (like an hour ago). I had looked at every conceivable design and even had an engineer working on conceptual stuff after hearing that @johno was shutting down.

The reason? I figured with Mr Olivier not manufacturing these things at X under the competition, there might be some room. I have other ideas, but lately I’ve seen commercial guys using different methods to cut down on time at each hive. With the larger operations, $1K-2K is not that big a deal.

This is more info than you ask for maybe. But with Mr Olivier back in it, with this quality at this price point, I’m out.

This vaporizer is 10x what I’ll ever need. Got some extra caps and the total invoice was 214.50. Well made, well packed, and with its reputation I’m sure I’ll be satisfied with performance

Table Wood Automotive design Font Publication

Ideally I’m shooting for stock that is at least low-treat. But if I need to zap something, I’m set.

· Registered
7 Posts
I got a couple different ones to try out as I was getting tired of messing around with pan vaporizers and lugging around even a small battery pack to run them. Was during johno's hiatus sadly or I would have gotten one from him, but I picked up one of goodbeeks oxatreat units and one from mite-e-vape, both have worked well so far, the mite-e-vape is lighter and good for doing quick one off treatments on this or that hive and the oxatreat is pretty much like others similar to it. I had both going at once while helping a friend treat his colonies and they seemed to perform equally well with the mite-e-vape being a tad bit slower to recover temp wise when running a 2g charge through it. Using the oxatreat as my main with the mite-e-vape as a backup as I like having the ability to tweak the temp if needed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts