Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone has knowledge of merchants of bee supplies who have reasonable shipping charges.

Several times, I've gone to place an order for the odd tool, or a small package of foundation, or whatever -- a roughly $15-$25 order, overall -- only to find that the shipping charges alone are something like $16.21 for the order. I'll never place an order like that.

I've heard rumors of some bee stuff suppliers who don't charge so much for S&H. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks!

Mig

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't know of any. I know when i ship, i charge ONLY what the shipper charges and whatever it costs me for a box. It's getting ridiculous on the cost of shipping. The post office is the cheapest i have found. Ship it ground and its usually 10 bucks cheaper.
You have to remember that if we ship via UPS or fed ex they charge us 10 dollars to come out and pick up the package

·
Registered
374 Posts
hopefully some entrepreneur will start a business that will provide good service, good prices, quality product and reasonable shipping. They will clean house.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thats just the problem with shipping... I have friends who want to buy honey from me... but it costs as much to ship it as it does to buy it!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Check with you local bee club and ask if there are any small suppliers or distributors nearby. Both Kelley and Mann Lake (possibly others) have a network of distributors, who are often small-volume, hole-in-the-wall operations.

Looks like you're about an hour and half drive or so from Drapers in Pennsylvania. They have their own stuff plus distribute for Mann Lake. Coordinate with other local beeks who may need equipment and take turns making a run to Drapers.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I had 13 8-frame medium boxes shipped from Miller's to Connecticut for $26 ... I think that's reasonable.

If someone is expecting USPS Parcel Post rates with FedEX or UPS speed I don't think that's possible.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I had a friend give me a box from kelleys w/ some stuff in it. The shipping label was still on it and it said it cost 6.28 to ship it to zone 5, I think kelleys base price to ship to zone one was 10.00-12.00. We are paying for HANDLING NOT SHIPPING.

Kingfisher

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check with you local bee club and ask if there are any small suppliers or distributors nearby. Both Kelley and Mann Lake (possibly others) have a network of distributors, who are often small-volume, hole-in-the-wall operations.

Looks like you're about an hour and half drive or so from Drapers in Pennsylvania. They have their own stuff plus distribute for Mann Lake. Coordinate with other local beeks who may need equipment and take turns making a run to Drapers.
I'm about an hour and half to Drapers; 45 minutes to Dadant; 2 hours to Brushy Mountain and about 3 hours to Betterbee. The only one I haven't visited yet is Drapers.

I chose Brushy for the bulk of my start up equipment and they had an arrangement with our local club to give new beeks free shipping on their initial order.

Overall, I've been happy with their products and service but they are high on their shipping. It's a nice drive to New Columbia and (unlike Betterbee) Brushy has public restrooms when you get there.:thumbsup:

There's a club meeting this Saturday. Maybe I'll check with fellow club members and see if there's any interest in a group buy/pickup.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had a friend give me a box from kelleys w/ some stuff in it. The shipping label was still on it and it said it cost 6.28 to ship it to zone 5, I think kelleys base price to ship to zone one was 10.00-12.00. We are paying for HANDLING NOT SHIPPING.

Kingfisher
well you have to expect handling as its expensive to get boxes these days.
I had to pay 8 dollars for a 24" x 18" x 18" box to ship a order. Price of shipping is filtering down into everything including the shipping boxes you get your order in.

What is a company supposed to do on that? Eat the handling?? When you operate at a low profit you can't do that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Brushy Mountain charged me $96 for 113 lbs of freight. Almost $1 a lb. I was not happy.
do a lookup at ups or fed ex for the same weight, and see how much they charge. 113 is about 96 dollars to ship now, and varies depending on destination. I shipped a box of sbb to mass from kansas and it cost me 32.00 to ship it it weighed 26 pounds. I shipped another box of sbb's to oklahoma city and it cost me 19.00 to ship it and it was 36 pounds.

double the shipping and 1/3 less weight to ship across the country.
Your right the average shipping cost is a buck a pound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Some of the suppliers have free shipping periods, often around Christmas. Dadant had free shipping all of last December, and shipped a large order to me at no charge. Check websites for special offers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cant tell you how many times i have gone to order something and at the last minute and realized that shipping cost more than the object i was about to order. Some places charge a lot for so called "Handling", e-bay is notorious for that! The key to my budget success in this new endeavor is that i live so close to a mann lake distributor and a local county bee club! If you dont live near a distributor but have associates or a local club as well, do like someone else suggested and do a group order. Save big bucks that way! You find out whos hoseing people on "Handling charges" with time!!!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've had very good luck with Millers also. It was very fast shipping, it was packed excellent and the shipping rate was reasonable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Cant tell you how many times i have gone to order something and at the last minute and realized that shipping cost more than the object i was about to order. Some places charge a lot for so called "Handling", e-bay is notorious for that! The key to my budget success in this new endeavor is that i live so close to a mann lake distributor and a local county bee club! If you dont live near a distributor but have associates or a local club as well, do like someone else suggested and do a group order. Save big bucks that way! You find out whos hoseing people on "Handling charges" with time!!!
your right on ebay. Most of them are charging a ton of money because their not making anything on the product. Plus you got ebay sucking up everything they can get out of sellers. Ebay has gotten too big and now has made it impossible to make a living on there unless your a big company.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Funny, I ordered an extractor and was charged a 96 lb rate from BM. When it got here, the boxes were 45 and 35 lbs and we are in the same shipping zone. I assure you that they did not weigh that much!

·
Registered
706 Posts
About 80 percent of stuff shipped can go USPS flat rate up to 70 lbs. its arip off to use fed ex ups its union wages that the teamsters are getting most ups divers get 80k a year to deliver frieght.

·
Registered
255 Posts
About 80 percent of stuff shipped can go USPS flat rate up to 70 lbs. its arip off to use fed ex ups its union wages that the teamsters are getting most ups divers get 80k a year to deliver frieght.
USPS is getting out of hand on their shipping too. Especially with the balloon charge.

IF you ship something that is 15 lbs or less, the cost goes up according to dimension.
You can ship 16 pounds cheaper than 15 pounds

·
Registered
706 Posts
so your telling me 20 lbs of medium foundation put in a flate rate box is not a good deal?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts