Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
limited rearranging is ok. Sometimes we will move frames around as necessary to get one drawn or open up more space by moving frames up or down. However for the most part we like to put things back the way we found it if all is going OK.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was wondering about this too...especially If frames with lots of brood and larva get moved to the outside. Is that ok? I did quite a bit of rearranging during my last inspection to try and get comb drawn out on all the frames but have been feeling like I did a severe ransacking

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm probably doing this all wrong, but I've been moving most of the filled nectar frames to the far outsides, and putting empty comb/foundation on each side of the brood nest which I basically leave alone and in order.

The brood frames usually have a circle of nectar/pollen surrounding the brood, and the empty combs give the queen somewhere else to lay. If there's a partial nectar frame (like brood on one side & nectar on the other), I leave it right where it is. My understanding is that you generally don't mess with the brood nest order.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The bees know what they are doing. As my wife reminds me from time to time I probably do more harm than good trying to "teach" them the right way to arrange their home:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wish I could remember everything that I did....I need to take notes while I am out there inspecting. I am worried that I messed things up! I just want the bees to draw out comb on all the frames and they have ignored the outer ones so I switched them with frames that were more in the middle. There is definitely brood on the outside frames - is this going to be a problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts