Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I done a cutdown split, I realize that however I done this in reverse, I found the queen and put her in a new hive with unfortunately (all the capped brood) instead of putting it in the hive that was now queenless, the queenless hive does have a frame of new eggs and larvae, so does anybody have any advice or what shall I do to fix this???? Do I go back and remove the capped brood and bring it back to the queenless or what do you guys suggest???

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
You don't need capped brood if you dumped bees in the queenless hive. Check for queen cells is a couple three days if no queen cell you can try another frame with eggs. You can always dump nurse bees in.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If it was just today? I would go back and move most of the capped brood back into the queenless hive tomorrow. You want the queenless hive to have a lot of bees so they can make a good well fed queen. By moving all of the capped brood into the hive with the queen you may have a swarmy hive once the brood hatches. When I do splits like you described I use the queen and two frames of capped brood. Move them to a new location, this will normally keep you from having as many swarms and the queenless hive still has a lots of bees so they can make a well fed queen.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
If the hive with the queen has too many bees just split it again.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
what john j said plus perhaps a frame nectar/pollen, open cells. You want the queenright split to be on the weaker side (they have a laying queen so can rebound quickly in spring) and the queenless cell builder strong, especially if you want to harvest those cells for more splits.

Depending on the strength of the queenless hive they may abandon most of the eggs and young larva. I also like to notch or tear away comb around eggs/larva on old comb, new comb doesn't matter too much. They will build cells there more often or not

·
Registered
146 Posts
I kinda did the same thing. I made a nuc using 3 frames of brood in different stages and 2 frames of honey/pollen. Thinking this didn't have a queen...only to find out yesterday(8 days later) the old girl was on one of the frames I used! Turned out to be a good mistake because the other hive from which I did the split have a ton of brood and bees...I saw at least 2 queen cells yesterday! Both hives seem to be doing great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts