Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I inherited a hive last fall, but the bees didn't make it though the winter. I have new bees on the way, but I have yet to find how to ready this old hive for the new bees. To my knowledge, the hive is less than a year old, and the bees were mite free and healthy, they were just a small colony. What should I do with the old comb and honey that is left? How does one go about cleaning a hive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Just tap out/off any loose debris, scrape off any bad wax moth damage, and give it to the new bees. They'll clean it all up and use it just fine. It'll give them a good start to have honey and drawn frames to start out with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that sounds fantastically too easy! Thank you!

There is no moth damage to the comb, but can comb get too old or dried out? Or should I let the bees take care of that as well?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
447 Posts
can comb get too old or dried out? Or should I let the bees take care of that as well?
The bees should repair some damage and re-furb the comb. They may make a mess for a couple of days tearing out what they don't like. What kind of foundation is it? I have some plastic foundation that has some bare patches due to wax moth damage. Those combs seemed dry and brittle when I put them in. I hope they will go ahead and draw it out this year; they did a great job of repairing most of it.
RKR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts