Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been stung by wasps and the like so many times at this point, I can definitely say I've never had a reaction (aside from some pain afterwards). I had only been stung twice by a honey bee in the past, and it's probably been 18 years since that's happened. Maybe longer.

I've been working with bees for 4 weeks now and, up until today, I hadn't been stung....However, while catching a swarm, I had a bee somehow get under my veil, and she got stuck against my helmet and my head... which is ironic, because this situation was the direct result of me being terrified of wasps and hornets as it has happened twice where I was chased by hives and they got in my hair and stung the crap out of me. Anyway, long story short, she stung me, and it wasn't really and issue. I went back to the bees and finished getting them in my box. . .

But then I got nauseated. If I remember correctly, that's a reaction that denotes an allergy, but nothing else happened. I just felt sick for a couple of hours, and it went away. Could have been from some anxiety as I started having flashbacks of yellow jackets in my hair, but I'm just curious as to if this is something I should be concerned about as it's really only been the 3rd time I got popped by a honey bee. Can it get worse if I keep getting stung??? I expect to get stung much more in the future along the way as well, so now I'm kind of wondering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,542 Posts
I don't really have much of an answer to your question. Yes, it can get worse or it might not. But, I'm wondering if you tried to scrape the stinger off of your scalp. I find that hard to do when stung anywhere I have hair. But doing so is the only thing besides avoiding stings that lessens the amount of venom you receive from the sting.

Next time a bee gets in your veil grab her and squish her quickly. I do that all the time whenever a bee is about to sting me. I'd rather get stung in my fingers than anywhere else, though I never do when doing that.

I hope your reactions to venom lessen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
Nausea is one of the many symptoms of anaphylactic shock. Just the one symptom without any major swelling, tightening of the throat or nasal passage, heart palpitation, shortness of breath or other major symptom makes it seem less likely to be the result of anaphylactic shock. Having said that, doctors appointments are cheap compared to death. Ask your general practitioner or health care specialist and be safe. You owe that to the people surrounding you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
This is nothing to fool with or second guess. Yes, you can really die from one bee sting. Get to an allergist and get tested.

I've been to the hospital three times. Once it was from a reaction while getting shots at the allergist. Told him it isn't very good for business having patient's being wheeled out on a gurney after calling 911. The next week I came back and told the nurse I saw one of my favorite movies over the weekend.

"Oh", she replied. "What was it?"

"Dead Man Walking", I said.

She wasn't humored.

I am now up to my maintenance dose and have been stung a couple times without incident.

Even with an dpi-pen you'll need to be careful and then get med treatment immediately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I am headed to the doctor. I didn't know nausea was anaphylaxis. I'm scurried!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
Im not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv, but my guess is that you were all suited up and sweating profusely. Dehydration causes nausea, but you got stung and naturally you think the nausea is from that. Glad you are being cautious though and seeking advice from a doctor as you should, just to be safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hrm.. never thought of dehydration as a cause, but true, I was sweating a bit, and to be honest, hydration is something I've always had to keep myself aware of. . . But still, I'm going to go to an allergist to be certain...
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top