Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed my 2 packages of bee's this past Sunday. When I was done I had the sugar syrup cans in hand and I just put them on a bench close by so the bee's could finish them off. Today they were both empty so I was going to through them away. While heading to the trash I got to thinking(thinking is bad sometimes)way not reuse these. I like them because they are short, wide and very stable compared to the quart plastic jar feeders I already have, plus you need to use a base with those. Cans are sealed so you can't get into them. What I did was found a tapered plastic plug about 3/8" or so in diameter. Used a uni bit to drill a hole in the can to the size that was needed. Used a small funnel filled the can to about 90%, put in the plug and took it back where I had it. Turned it upside down and it dripped for a few minutes until the air in the can was used and then it stopped dipping. Might be kind of silly but it didn't cost me anything and took less than 5 minutes to make.

Wood stain Wood Tin can Lid Rotary tool Water Circle Plastic Rim Lid Circle Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel

Greg

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
Where did you find the plug? I often refill the cans when they are light and I haven't had time to install the package yet. I drill about a 1/4" hole (just enough to get the syrup in) and then plug it with beeswax or propolis. Some of the cans come with a hole and a grommet with a piece of cloth over the grommet. These you can pop out and refill, but the ones with the pinholes seem to be more common in recent years.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you find the plug? I often refill the cans when they are light and I haven't had time to install the package yet. I drill about a 1/4" hole (just enough to get the syrup in) and then plug it with beeswax or propolis. Some of the cans come with a hole and a grommet with a piece of cloth over the grommet. These you can pop out and refill, but the ones with the pinholes seem to be more common in recent years.
Michael
These I had just laying around in the shop. However you can get a bag of 100 cheap at McMaster Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-tapered-plugs/=sj73wn

Greg

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I was disappointed that my cans not only came without syrup, but not even a lid. Just an empty open can that fit the package hole.

'Hope this isn't a sign of things to come :s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts