Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just opened a dead hive, and found lots of honey. i had left a super on for the winter, and the frames and wax are all spotted and smeared a brownish yellow. i'm assuming it is nosema, and don't know if it is o.k. to give these frames, with the honey, to another hive. there are also several frames of honey that look clean. is it o.k. to extract these frames? any suggestions on what to do with these frames. for now, i put the whole box, with the frames in plastic garbage bags in a shed, the same with the brood boxes.
thanks for any help, it's my first winter with bees, and haven't read anything on how to handle this situation.
tom

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
If it is disease or you cannot be sure, get rid of it before it spreads. Hives and frames can be treated with radiation, at least in Florida. There is a recent project to use ozone, but it is not practical yet. Freezing kills things that do not form spores like foulbrood. Almost anything that can kill bad things will do some harm to the comb contents.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i put the whole box, with the frames in plastic garbage bags in a shed, the same with the brood boxes.
tom
One thing that worries me about putting all this in plastic garbage bags is lack of breathability until you figure out what you want to do with your frames/boxes. Espescially if the combs are slightly wet, you might get some mold or other funky things growing on them pretty quick inside plastic. If you have access to freezing temps or a sunny drafty spot you might be okay....at least until the bees/moths/yellow jackets etc start flying.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
i'm assuming it is nosema, tom
Not necassarily. It may be bee poop stained, but not necassarily nosema contaminated. If you leave it in your garage the bees will take care of it for you. Unless you have it seal up tight, which I guess you do?

You could take a warm wet sponge and gently wash this frase off the surface of the comb. I'm sure that if this isn't a good idea someone will say so.

·
Registered
717 Posts
With my 20 deep winter deadout frames:cry:, I'm extracting the 7 or so frames of honey, then freezing for a few days. The rest I am freezing for about 3 days - the worst ones of which I'll scrape. There were just a few cells of mine that looked suspect - either SHB or bee larvae rotting in cells - I see no signs of disease otherwise, so you will need to get expert advice re something beyond the norm.

I'm going to use all my frames, essentially in the same config that they are drawn to in establishing 2 more hives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts