Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just finished a full year of beekeeping, so I am entering my first spring with a hive (vs. starting a hive in the spring with a package). In the fall, I collapsed my hive down. I took some full frames of honey and put them down into the hive for wintering. To do this, I took out some frames that had some minimal brood still present. I but these frames in a sealed bag and put them in my garage to expose them to freezing temperatures throughout the winter.

Is it safe to use the frames again? I was cutting out the areas with old brood, but they were a mushy mess. As I was stripping the wax they were actually exploding out with goo/puss. Is this bad? Should I just start fresh and call these frames a loss? I was hoping to re-use the existing comb to speed things up for them this spring. But now I don't know if this is a good idea anymore. Or can I just put them in the hive and bees will clean out what they don't like and then go on with their business?

I have no reason to suspect foulbrood or any other disease at this point. Frames have foundation.

Any help you can share or direct me to would be VERY appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As long as you feel the frames are disease free, reuse the frames. Don't worry about scraping the old brood off. The bees will clean it up just fine. Having a few frames of honey is a big advantage when restarting a hive too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts