Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm a new beekeeper and just bought the Brushy Mountain wooden top feeder with floats. According to their video, you put the inner cover on top of the feeder and then the top cover on that. According to the Beekeeping for Dummies book, you do not use inner covers if you are using a top feeder. I'm not sure which way to use it and if it even makes a big difference. Can anyone enlighten me please?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Put the inner cover on top of the feeder under the telescoping cover. While it is unlikely that the bees will propalize the telescoping cover to the feeder if you leave the inner cover off, why take the risk? In any event, it is easier to leave the inner cover with the hive than to remove and store it.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Follow what their video shows but most top feeders do not require an inner cover at all.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Put the inner cover on top of the feeder under the telescoping cover. While it is unlikely that the bees will propalize the telescoping cover to the feeder if you leave the inner cover off, why take the risk? In any event, it is easier to leave the inner cover with the hive than to remove and store it.
I agree when I use my hive top feeders I just throw the inner cover on top of it and when I decide I don't need the feeder anymore my inner cover is right there with the hive, not back in the corner of the garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts