Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THis is my first year and I bought used hives, not knowing for sure what I had i decided to re-queen each one to make sure that I had strong queens to start off with. About 2 weeks later I've gone through them and found new uncapped babies in all except one, I've found the queen, capped brood but no uncapped or new babies. Can a new queen be bad? Should I re-queen again? Wait a few more days? Not sure what to do? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Take a good look at the frames for eggs.
They can be hard to see, but take your
time and look at the bottoms of the cell.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Personally I wouldn't wait. But there's not a problem
with waiting.... as long as you located the new queen.

Eggs stand out pretty well after you get used to looking
for them.

Also look for really well polished cells walls as the workers
will prepping for eggs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I'm sure I located the queen, she would have made a good welder , she was walking fast and looking worried , but no sign of babies, Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I have a good bit of capped brood,I uncapped one to make sure what I was looking at, i requeened about 2 weeks ago, i was thinking that the old queen must have layed these and the new queen has done nothing, no small ones in any stage that I could see. How long does it normally take for new queen to get started?

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
If I dont find any should I kill her and re-queen again?
Give a some time...... The possibility of not
seen eggs is very real, especially if your new
at this.

More importantly. contact the person you bought
the queen from. Most reputable queen sellers will
stand behind their queens.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If she's walking around the frame quite fast and there's no eggs I'd say it's a virgin and the bees have knocked off the caged queen and brought out their own.
Leave her another week give her time to get out and mate then have another look I'm sure you will have a lovely new queen.
Cheers
Frazz

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I have seen queens that took two weeks to start to lay. So I'd give her a few more days, but not much more than that. Meanwhile you can give that hive a frame of eggs and brood and see what they do. If they don't think she's up to snuff they have an alternative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts