Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hive recently swarmed and I would like to re-queen. Before I do, should i go in and remove all the swarm cells? Or, if I introduce the queen will she take care of them herself?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If you don't remove them they will not accept her, they believe they are queen right since they are growing a new one. What type of queen are you gonna buy?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to buy a carniolian queen and introduce her next week. I have heard that queenless hives are very tempermental. My hive is still very gentle after the swarm, so this would make sence that they are "queen right".

I guess then you would recommend me going in and removing all the swarm cells, which would be on the bottom deep.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Don't remove the swarm cells! You'll be better off to let the bees raise their own queen and then, if you don't like her for some reason, buy a new queen, kill the old one and requeen. Many times the bees will kill a new, introduced queen even if you scrape the cells. Believe me, requeening is a fast way to lose money, $20.00 at a clip, in this business. A hive with a queen is easy to requeen; any other condition is an iffy bet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts