Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I will moving a hive about 5 miles from current location.

Regarding the Bush/Taylor trick of putting grass, sticks, or other vegetation on the entrance after they are moved, I was wondering what effect moving the entrance would have.

It's currently bottom entrance and I thought that I would start a top entrance after the hive is moved and leave the bottom closed.

Do you think this would give the foragers reason for pause, or they wouldn't notice nearly as much as climbing over some grass to get out?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sounds reasonable, why not do both, I cut a fresh branch with leaves and lean it against the entrance, I would think moving the entrance is a good idea, you can always move it back to bottom entrance if you like those better.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Not necessary at all. Think of the hives that are moved hundreds of miles and just plopped down in a new spot. Move it and don't give it a second thought.

·
Registered
764 Posts
This should be an important question for beekeepers, yet I haven't seen a controlled study on this, do any of you know of such a study?

·
Registered
97 Posts
This should be an important question for beekeepers, yet I haven't seen a controlled study on this, do any of you know of such a study?
I am not a beekeeper but i did a study on this yesterday, I put a leaf in front of one I put a branch in front of another and i put a leaf and branch if front of a third. I'll report back soon....

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
A 5 mile move to a new yard has a much greater 're-orienting' effect then putting some grass/sticks/twigs/leaves/rocks/screen in the opening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts