Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to re-locate my 4 hives about 50 feet from where they sit now. Will this be terribly confusing for the Bees or will they figure things out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
There will be some confusion for 2 or 3 hours with the field bees returning to the original location, but then they will reorient on the new location. Some field bees will return to the old home location for several days, but they will fly a few circles and then work it out. Don't bother leaving a box to collect stragglers because that will just delay their orienting on the new location.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Speaking from experience, those field bees who come home to no home are going to be testy about it. If your old location sees pets/livestock/people then I would use a box to collect the field bees for the first day or two and relocate them to the new spot.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
for 50 feet I use a little red wagon.
set the hive one it day 1
move it a couple feet a day and in time you are there, at first a hive width, once out in the open 2 hive widths.

done that several times, if entrance is rotating do 45 degrees per day at most.

No forager loss, you do need a level area, and with 4 hives I would get 2 wagons and start the second 3 days after the first, when done do the next 2

GG

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I move at night about 2 hours after dark. That day ratchet strap hives 2 ways so the cover, boxes, and base are secure. If you want to be extra cautious screw 1x wood up the side into boxes and base. Usually not needed though. smoke any bees into hive if needed then use a D handle dolly to move it. As said keep everyone away from the old location and put a branch in front of hives at the new location so they all re-orient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts