Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a fairly new hobbyist beekeeper and am looking for some various ways to re-liquefy granulated honey. From inexpensive methods for hobbyists, home built clarifiers, to perhaps buying or building a nice efficient/effective clarifier.

I produce 500 + pounds and may do more at some point. Usually poured into 5 gal buckets and then bottled from there. I know about bee supply heat belts for buckets (I have one for 5 gal) and drums, and bottling tanks, but the nice store bought bottling tanks can get pricy for my budget at this point. Also, and this is a main dilemma, after I have bottled up a few cases the honey will sometimes granulate or crystalize before I have the opportunity to sell it. What do you experienced guys do to liquefy your buckets and multiple case quantities of already jarred honey?

Have you built a way cool clarifier for 5 gal. buckets and moreover for multiple jars of honey? Oh, and I guess importantly, I'm trying to keep from using high heat as most people are looking for "raw, natural" honey.

I would appreciate your input,

-Desmond

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Re the jared liquid honey, if you can keep it in a deep freeze it will not granulate.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Bottled a warm box will keep it a long time.. a refrigerator with light bulb (not cooling) After its crystilized I find our hot tub to be about perfect for buckets. I have a large home made wooden box with a small space heater for drums.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i built a 3 by 3 by 3 box out of osb, lined it with insulation board no wood on bottom, put two ceramic light bulb fixtures near the bottom on opposite sides using 75 watt light bulbs and a light dimmer switch, made shelf just above the lights using a wire shelf ,cleats on all four sides, and the top sits on the box so its removable. adjust the switch so its 120 degrees after it has warmed up . takes about a day and a half to reliquify, five gallon buckets fit also, takes longer

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
i built a box out of wood frame, and reflectex insulated bubble wrap (will side it with plywood and put casters on it when I get a chance).

I wired up a good quality industrial thermostat to control one of those oil filled electric heaters (that looks like an old fashioned steam radiator). A fan inside the box keeps the air moving (regardless of the thermostat reading), and the oil gives a bit of thermal mass to the heat source.

Put the probe in the box, set the temp and tape the whole thing shut.

deknow

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Green house...
Take 4 old windows with wooden shash and screw them together in box shape. Mount a fifth window on top of the glass house hinging one side and a wax actuator on the other side. They open around 80 degrees but you can get some adjustment to go higher. Set this green house on pavement spaced up with four 2x4's in each corner. The temperature will be controlled by the actuator lifting the top window and causing a draft from the gap below. Free heat! After the honey is liquified use this device to start some plants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts