Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a dead hive… rat had just started living in it… wasn't much of a nest in there… but it did pee on the brood comb… no sealed comb, no stores.. hive left and all cells empty..

queen excluder on top of brood and there were two supers on top…. those were empty too cept the comb..

would u melt the brood comb down or put it in a bag with mothballs and give it to a new hive in the spring or ?

d

·
Registered
186 Posts
i guess this isnt the honey marketing forum!!!!

but anyways the advice to

Give it to a new colony in the Spring. The bees will deal w/ it.
is not good. sorry mark.

sounds too like the one rat (is there ever just one?) peed on the brood comb, plural, i think. so it wasnt just one comb.

so yeah you could even spread that filth out to ten hives since theres probably 10 combs in that brood chamber.

and if you want your honey to taste like pee i totally recommend you do just that.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Give it to a new colony in the Spring. The bees will deal w/ it.
Nope. Not going to do that anymore. Rinse out the comb with a sprinkler hose and cut out the sections that appear contaminated. The cut outs can be used as starter chips for a camp fire.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have lived in a lot of old houses so no stranger to the smell of rat and mouse urine. The only thing worse is cat urine. I have tried to clean things that have been marked and either can still smell it or imagine I can! Those frames would only suit for honey I was going to sell to someone I didn't like; definitely not for keeper honey. :):lookout:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't save it. Powerful stuff, rat pee. I walked into a friends large horse barn once (I was over there almost daily), and said "You've got a rat in here now." My neighbor said "How can you tell?" "I can smell it." She didn't believe me, but sure enough, a rat had moved in, and was quickly dispatched. A little rat pee goes a long way.

JC

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I suppose you could call PETR. That is people for the ethical treatment of Rodents and get guidance from them. The organization of nut jobs DOES exist! Sorry, A strong colony will clean it up. If you want to obcess about it, I suggest you burn all the boxes and combs and in case you are a second resident of your home, burn it and contents too! The bees will clean it up. They are very good at that!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Considering that there is hantal virus, and possibly plague, the whole thing might not be fit for consumption, nor for more bees. Burn the comb, scorch the woodenware, start over with new bees. It's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
No doubt the bees will sweep it under the carpet somehow and no one else will likely ever know (but you will!).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry, A strong colony will clean it up. If you want to obcess about it, I suggest you burn all the boxes and combs and in case you are a second resident of your home, burn it and contents too! The bees will clean it up. They are very good at that!
sure they'll clean it up. no arguement there.

but your honey will taste like mouse pee. that flavor/odor will be there, and when you realize thats what it is, it'll make you want to puke and dump the honey.

so lets see. 10 new frames with foundation, i figure that'll cost you 20 bucks, on the high side.

and lets say that hive only makes only 20 pounds of pee honey for you. so at 2.25 a pound that honey'd be worth 45 bucks. but since you're going to want to flush it down the toilet you'll have saved 20 bucks while losing 25.

of course we all hope they'll make more than 20 pounds of honey right? and we all want to get better than 2.25 a pound right?

so yeah.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts