Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm trying to raise a few of my own queen this year. I grafted 10 cells today and put them in my starter hive. I will put them in my finisher hive Wednesday. Wish me luck....

One question. I made my starter hive queenless the day before I put the grafts in by splitting the original queen into a nuc. After I take the queen cells out of the starter hive can I just put the original queen back in the original hive without any problems? Or do I have to re introduce her as if she is new to the hive?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
It is better if you reintroduce the original queen. Sometimes they will not recognize her in 3 days.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
What is the weather like in Lynwood at this time? Do you have flying drones? I have had drone brood for a few weeks now but cool temps and lots of rain have kept the bees in a lot of the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weather is averaging around 60 during the days, 74 yesterday. Lots of drones in the hive and yes I've seen them out flying around.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would definiteley re-introduce her. If you put her back along with a couple frames of the bees that she is with now - all the better. I'm always nervous about putting a queen I really like into (or back into) a big hive. If you want, you can put the queen under a queen exluder and your queen cups above the excluder and just use that hive as your finisher, if it is big enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts