Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been raining pretty good today and I thought it was a good time to weed my apiary. One hive has a softball size ball of bees right on the landing board and they are wet. I put up a piece of ply to protect them for now.
I suspect that this may be an aborted swarm. Aborted because of a downpour or perhaps the queen couldn't fly. My only thoughts are to leave them bee, or scoop them in a box to see if there is a queen in there. If I find her, not sure of what to do except cage/bank her until I can get in the hive. I had thought this hive was doing a supercedure as I have only found one fat uncapped QC on prior inspections. Now thinking they got busy or I missed some cells. Thoughts/advice appreciated. J

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Its been raining pretty good today and I thought it was a good time to weed my apiary. One hive has a softball size ball of bees right on the landing board and they are wet. ..... J
A possibility of a swarm building up (especially so because it is June, not say August).
I'd check for swarm cells rather soon and go from there.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg. I swept the ball-o-bees into a box looking for a queen and didn't find her. But they fanned like crazy, so not sure what is going on. It was odd behavior in my limited experience. After it stopped raining, the sun came out and it got hot and humid and they seemed to settle down but were bearding, as was my other hive. Weather looks like I will have an opportunity to go in tomorrow. J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts