Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get rid of Rainbow Bee Eaters without a shotgun?
I use a drone to scare them.
I let it hover for 30 mins but as soon as I land they reappear.
Beautiful birds but I hate them.
They may be the end of my business.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,816 Posts
Does Merops ornatus have any natural preditors? I see that cane toads will eat nestlings so having a bunch of those around might help with population control. Removing the roosting trees and shrubs may help discourage them congregating near your apiary. But in the short term, it's not like they are an endangered species...

BTW, where in Oz are you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does Merops ornatus have any natural preditors? I see that cane toads will eat nestlings so having a bunch of those around might help with population control. Removing the roosting trees and shrubs may help discourage them congregating near your apiary. But in the short term, it's not like they are an endangered species...

BTW, where in Oz are you?
Raptors seem to be their only predators. Illegal to own/keep in captivity in Cairns, Queensland and in most states of Australia.
Plenty of cane toads around, they feast on the bees too unless you keep your hives 50-60cm off the ground.
The trees are 50-60 metres high so impossible to hang CD's or shiny objects on and too much work to cut down.
I don't think Merops Ornatus are endangered but most wild life in Australia is protected.
Neverthelessless, I was thinking of putting poison on the wings of a few hundred bees....but don't tell anyone...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts