Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that rain washes the nectar out of flowers. About how long does it take a flower to replace that so that the bees can feed again? I know it will vary from plant to plant, but I am just looking for general information. It rains frequently here and I am curious as to how much effect that will have on honey production.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's a good question. I've wondered that myself.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think I read somewhere that it is three days, but I can't find the source. I am sure, as you suggest, that it varies from plant to plant, and bees seem to find any available source.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope it is not three days. In this area, it can rain every three days for weeks or months at a time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
a lot of rain will affect the production of honey, but will increase the amount of flowers everywere, but if it rains in the afternoon most of the nectar has been gathered and the flower has been pollinated and on its way to produce a seed
Bob

·
Registered
854 Posts
The bees will tell you. Just watch when they leave the hive after a rain. They are leaving for a reason. Each flower type varies, but most secrete within 4 to six hours, esp. when there is strong sunlight to draw up the nectar. OMTCW

·
Registered
577 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think I remember from my college days that in botany class they said rain does not really wash the nectar away. Instead the plants do not readily produce nectar during rainy weather. I do know that in normal to dry seasons, pear nectar is so thick that bees work it as a last resort. But, when it rains a lot the pear nectar is thinner and bees collect it readily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts