Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up 6 packages this Sat morning and my area is forecasting rain and thunder storms ( just my luck, havent had any rain all month). Im sure or think I am it would not be good to try and install packages during rain? My real question is what is the best way to store them if I cannot get them into their hives Sat? I would assume they would like a dark place the best and warm temperature, maybe a closet? I also am pretty sure I need to get them in their hives ASAP. My wife is getting very nervous thinking about me keeping them in the house until installed :D. Thanks for your advice in advance....... Mike

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
As long as it isn't a down poor suck-it-up. Put on some rain gear and install them. Do you have a truck with a topper? A garage close by where you will place them? If so, install them (shake them in) under cover then move them outside immediately. Rain is better than 70 deg and sunny for install packages. You get less drift that way.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Rain is better than 70 deg and sunny for install packages. You get less drift that way.
Yup. Rainy days are the best for package installs. Just be ready to go. When you get a break from the hard down pours install them. A little misting light rain is ok. Keeps them at bay and lets them get used to their new home.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies, good info to know. These will be my first packages to install. Im not worried about myself getting wet just didnt want to do anything to harm the bees. Surely I can catch some slack sometime in the day to get the job done. I really apreicate you guys responding, I feel better........ Thx Mike

·
Registered
453 Posts
My first install was during the rain. Waited for it to get to the point of just misting a little and everything went great. Very little flying around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts