Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SE minnesota. Marginal rain in my location, although 90 miles west of me had 6 inches last week...

I'm assuming that there's not a lot of pollen coming in, I don't see the bees bringing in much right now. I haven't delved into the nether regions of my hives to see what their pollen stores are.

Any thoughts on prophylactic feeding of pollen this time of year?

·
Registered
660 Posts
SE minnesota. Marginal rain in my location, although 90 miles west of me had 6 inches last week...

I'm assuming that there's not a lot of pollen coming in, I don't see the bees bringing in much right now. I haven't delved into the nether regions of my hives to see what their pollen stores are.

I no longer mess with patties, if that is what you mean.

I put out dry UltraBee when I am doubting there is enough pollen. They will enthusiastically take it when they need it, and ignore it when they don't. Right now I have some out, and they have not shown any interest whatsoever, there is apparently plenty of pollen around, despite the desert-like weather.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was thinking about setting some pollen out and seeing what they think of it. We had a nice Basswood bloom in my area for about a week and then it dried up. Not much for flowers right now.

2 Posts
I've seen pollen coming in, but mostly seems to be from flowerbeds/water gardens/clover in my grass that I've watered. You know its dry when the ragweed is wilting and dying. Atleast I've learned how to deal with droughts and bees....

Also in SE/CE MN.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
No more rain here, please. We need some sunshine. We're already inches above where we should be and the goldenrod started brightening up more than two weeks ago, it seems way early this year.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts

I will indeed be feeding pollen patties starting in August when I will try to get my bees to raise some winter bees. Right now the only brood rearing going on is in splits I made in Early June. Those splits will get it as soon as I can get it on them.

·
Registered
94 Posts

In early August, I put pollen in my hives until the end of August/early Sept. Feeding artificial pollen in late summer promotes the production of summer bees, not winter bees. Seasonal variations in pollen are responsible for the production of winter bees; artificial pollen doesn't have the proper biological "signal" to start producing bees of winter physiology. If there's a pollen dearth, either feed pollen subs until pollen becomes available in the environment or they will eat their young. Just remember to stop feeding pollen in the late summer/early fall for maximum population of bees of winter physiology to live until the spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts