Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of ragweed where I live, both giant and western. It is about to bloom. The reading I have done presents severely conflicting opinions as to its usefullness to bees, some saying the do not use it at all, others saying it is a valuable late summer source.

What do you experienced beeks have to say?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am beginning to think it all has to do with what else is available. I understand it blooms at the same time as goldenrod. I do not know if I have goldenrod in this area or not.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Yes, plants are different in different parts of the country so just go out in the field and see if you see bees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here in my part of Louisiana ragweed begins blooming a few weeks before the goldenrod but continues throughout the goldenrod. My bees work the ragweed the weeks leading up to goldenrod, but as soon as the GR blooms start popping open they ignore the ragweed like a bad decision.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here in my part of Louisiana ragweed begins blooming a few weeks before the goldenrod but continues throughout the goldenrod. My bees work the ragweed the weeks leading up to goldenrod, but as soon as the GR blooms start popping open they ignore the ragweed like a bad decision.
This is exactly what I see here. The bees work the ragweed for pollen until the other fall flowers begin blooming.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Have tons of the western ragweed up here, never seen a bee on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they use it when needed. It is in the sunflower family and we have a a lot of that here as well. I will have to pay more attention as it is blooming now. Texas croton's are getting hit good right now here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts