Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... That is interesting - kind of wished I'd seen it before I ordered.
I hope the 2 queens I installed do well. Kind of hoped that they were related (the weavers not the queens).

Thanks
Mike

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ouch... Just did a search on the forum looking for R.Weaver.
The queen and attendants in the cages did a lot of running about and a lot of buzzing. I had never seen bees so active... Now that I read the posts it is a little worrying.

Mike

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I've never dealt with R. Only B. They are different. When I bought Weavers I searched and bought B over R due to the better customer service reviews that B got. B has given me great customer service and great bees so I have had no reason to call R. You can do your own research but I like how B has consolidated to one breed. A good mixture if you will...

About the attendants. The B's I have gotten in the attendants and the queens were real runny and buzzy in the cage. They have all come out and been totally awesome queens. So I wouldn't worry about that part to much.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have never done any buissness with them. my recomendation is buy local queens or queens from your region. I don't have problems with my queens that way. Both weavers have been in the trade for ever so they must have been doing something right.

·
Registered
234 Posts
They are apparently brothers who hate each other. They are on the same property and one brother parked an 18 wheeler in the middle of the yard so they dont see each other.

I mess with r weaver cause the lady who answered the b weaver phone sounded old and clueless.. like it was his mother...

risa has been nice to me so far... i've been to their office and it's just a big metal building.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought packages from R. Weaver last year and all went well. This year one went queenless and I ordered another. When I was going to ask a question, the woman on the phone said it was Monday and she was busy. I guess I should have felt bad for interupting her busy day.

The quenn arrived in good shape and is doing fine. But, with the attitude I got over the phone, my next queens are coming from B. Weaver.

Walt

·
Registered
328 Posts
I ordered 4 all-americans from R Weaver. I got the same attitude when I called to check on the status. I guess it would be best because more hobbists are getting involved is that these queen producers come up with a good order tracking system so people can check their own ordered and are notified automatically when they are shipped.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had good experiences with R. Weaver. I get the feeling they are a very busy lean/mean company that does things the old school way. I ordered some queens and they sent me snail mail letting me know when to expect them ( and I did). The queens look great, very large and active.
Risa is very nice, but to the point. If you want advice or hand holding, better look for it elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
They are apparently brothers who hate each other. They are on the same property and one brother parked an 18 wheeler in the middle of the yard so they dont see each other.

I mess with r weaver cause the lady who answered the b weaver phone sounded old and clueless.. like it was his mother...

risa has been nice to me so far... i've been to their office and it's just a big metal building.
This is what I have seen/gathered by talking to the weavers via phone, email, and in person
Beeweaver said on their site-
Weaver Apiaries divided into 2 companies in 1995. BeeWeaver's beekeeping philosophy, dedication to the bee industry through donations of time and money, and most importantly, the BeeWeaver Breed sets us apart from R Weaver.
I didnt see anyone from beeweaver at the past TBA meeting. Also, if the above is true, them why did they name a fund for our state bee lab after the r weaver family (the elder who pasted away a while back).
Also, beeweaver does not seem as mom and pop as r weaver. Beeweaver is out of Austin. The Navasota address is the "shipping address". Danny has some kind of conglomeration over there.
Bottom line, I will always do business w/ r weavers because Beeweaver has a stinky attitude that surrounds their business.

My 2 cents
Kingfisher

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to update - both queens were accepted. A nice blessing (previously in another hive they killed one that was introduced - that was a carnolian and not from weaver).

So now just need to get the honey out of the cells so they can lay.

Mike

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote from Kingfisher:

"Also, beeweaver does not seem as mom and pop as r weaver. Beeweaver is out of Austin. The Navasota address is the "shipping address". Danny has some kind of conglomeration over there."

Kingfisher,

BeeWeavers operation has not moved in the least. Their facilities are still located in the same building as always.

Not that it is anyone's business, but I don't think that they would mind that I share with you that Danny and his wife moved their family to Austin because they felt thier children would receive a better education there. Laura handles the bookeeping and scheduling from Austin while she cares for their children and Danny travels back and forth between Austin and Navasota during the busy season.

Sounds like a mom and pop operation to me!

Please don't belittle someone when it is obvious by the postings above that plenty of people are happy with BeeWeaver. I know I am. I know them personally and they have bent over backwards to assist both me as an individual beekeeper and the Central Texas Beekeepers as an organization.

I purchase BeeWeaver queens and recommend them.

Fuzzybeekeeper

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've bought queens from them both and didn't have much luck. Lately the last eight queens (four from each) have been crap. Two out of four seemed OK for 2 weeks until they quit laying. The other two were immediately replaced by workers. I never did get them to replace them ,"R Weaver", it was like pulling teeth to get them to do anything and Risa wasn't much help. The other four from B Weaver "much touted and expensive" turned out to not work out either. I didn't even try to get them replaced. I finally just went locally, and bought nucs that are working out well. I'm through with the Weavers!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Beardance,

It's a shame you didn't give BeeWeaver a chance. As you can read from what is written above, there does seem to be a difference.

Fuzzybeekeeper

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I think I will go ahead and chime in just in case my other post on BeeWeaver queens was overlooked. I love them:thumbsup:, I have never had better performing queens that I can remember. They are laying machines!! The customer service experience has been fantastic, friendly and polite. It may take a few days for an email response but that is totally understandable by me, and I have always received a response. The only negative thing I have to say is they live too far away!:D I haven't had any dealings with R Weaver....and that is all I have to say about that.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have been to both operations. There was not a semi parked between them when I was there, but the properties do join, and you can spit on one from the other.

Both are Mom n' Pop operations, and both are really nice people.

Both are totally swamped when everyone comes to get their packages and decide to start asking right *then* how to build the hives, what do I do with this package, etc. But as far as I can see, Dadant, Mann Lake, Weaver, Brushy Mt., and every mother's son are swamped then, too.

I had made an appointment to go by and pick up some things from B Weaver, and they had arranged to leave it for me, as they *had* to be elsewhere that day. The customer before me had picked up some things, also picked up MINE, and left me SOL. It's a 2 hour drive from my place to theirs, so I was not happy.

I went across the grass to the next building, thinking it was also Binford's place, and it was actually Richard's. (Never actually met Danny). Richard made good on what Binford had promised, that Binford's customer had stolen, and was really cordial about it all. He had nothing bad to say about anyone, and shrugged off my offer to pay him, as well. He gave us a tour of his operation, and answered a few oddball questions about beekeeping in TX that we had saved up.

Bees and queens from both gents have been exceptional. Laura in Austin has always been great on the phone and email.

I don't think you can lose going with either operation.

I don't worry about other family's dirty laundry, and they didn't ask about mine, so it's all good. :shhhh:

Good people, good bees, good business. I'm happy.

Summer:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts