Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one quote a specific reply? I see no "quote" option?

·
Super Moderator
11,153 Posts
Well, here is what your post looks like on my screen:

Beesource Screenshot from 2020-05-26 21-38-29.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Note the "Reply with Quote" on the bottom right. That is what I generally use.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
N
I should have specified, I'm using a phone to access the site. Nothing at the bottom whatsoever.

·
Registered
956 Posts
On a touch screen in chrome,I can touch and hold,resulting in 2 blue dots,which I can then touch and slide to highlight desired text.
I then get a pop up menu "copy,share,select all etc".I select copy.
The desired quote gets transferred to "clipboard".
To insert,I touch and hold the cursor and select "paste".
The same,copy and paste, can be done on a pc using the mouse and and left button to highlight and right button to pull up menu.(not positive about this,the only time I use a pc is once a year for taxes.Prone to brain farts these days)
Note: It used to be considered impolite(and often confusing) to quote an entire post to answer a particular question.My kids increasingly tell me I'm "oldschool"

·
Super Moderator
11,153 Posts
As an 'add-on' to Jack's comments, one can replicate the "quote box" often seen in Beesource posts without actually using the "Reply With Quote" button.

What is needed to do that (without the button) is to bracket the text that you wish to see inside the quote box with the BBC "quote" and "/quote" keywords. Note that ALL BBC code needs to be enclosed in square brackets like these: "[ ]".

My example here will substitute the squiggly brackets here as the actual square brackets would get 'executed' and not be visible.

{quote}This is a quoted line.{/quote}

turns into this (when square brackets are used instead of the squiggly ones above):

This is a quoted line.

Note that the quote style above is not "clickable" to link to the source of the quote. If you want to do that, I don't know any way except to use the quote button.

[hr] [/hr]
On my Android phone, there is a 'checkbox' next to the message timestamp (after clicking on a specific message). Once that checkbox is ticked, a sub-menu includes a 'quote' icon (looks like a double quote mark). Clicking on that produces quote code similar to what I show above. At that point, just proceed with preparing your response. Note that non-relevant portions of the quote can be removed by simply deleting the text. Do Not Delete or Change the BBC Quote code itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts