Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to say Randy is quite a speaker. He gets the old thinking gears moving up top!
I had the opportunity to sit in on a few of his presentations yesterday.

I think Winnipeg has been the coldest city he has been at yet. -35degreesC is not quite California weather!

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We also had Jamie Ellis speak, what a wealth of knowledge and energy he is! I enjoyed all his presentations, especially his "honey bee as superorganisms" >> quote Jamie Ellis, "the whole is more than the sum of all its parts" :) brilliant

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
On a side note... Seeing how the bees tend to need constant watching and care now days I am always baffled how all these bee experts can have time to travel and talk and keep their noses in the hives enough to know whats really happening. Is it just me who wonders this or am I off the back of my rocker farther than I realize? That's my new but old observation!!!

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Everybody has a different passion. I am just glad that Mr. Oliver takes the time and has that passion. I really think he is legit. I cannot say about the other gentleman as I am not familiar with what he says or does.

On a side note... Seeing how the bees tend to need constant watching and care now days I am always baffled how all these bee experts can have time to travel and talk and keep their noses in the hives enough to know whats really happening. Is it just me who wonders this or am I off the back of my rocker farther than I realize? That's my new but old observation!!!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
He has two sons who tend to much of the beework while he is away.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
My own view of 'experts' who do workshops is that they fill a need for organizations holding regular meetings.

The more well received the speaker, the better off both you and the membership are.

The 'speaking circuit' is one way that many of these professional speakers can spread their own views while also receiving some supplemental income as well.

However, I've found myself thinking that some speakers were proselytizing a view that was of little value to me.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
randy oliver is excellent in his speaking as he has the scientific background along with the practical experience of being a commercial beekeeper. most academics do not have the common sense side.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 'speaking circuit' is one way that many of these professional speakers can spread their own views while also receiving some supplemental income as well.
Are you planning on striking out on a speaking circuit? Oh ya right, you actually have to have something to offer for anyone to listen.

You have never heard Randy speak before, have you... he talks about >>>beekeeping<<<

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Are you planning on striking out on a speaking circuit? Oh ya right, you actually have to have something to offer for anyone to listen. You have never heard Randy speak before, have you... he talks about >>>beekeeping<<<
I have spoken in public, I ran organizations, and I still lecture regularly.

However, I was speaking as someone in the audience.

I have seen a video of Randy speaking. No comment.

However, Ian, I wondered what the topic of his talk at your annual convention was.

Nothing sinister. Just curious.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to Randy, he left on the Thursday after grafting, slipped up to our welcoming -35degreeC city of Winnipeg to speak for a couple of days, and then flew back on the Saturday to continue with the split work. He told us he manages 1000 hives with his two sons, who hold down the fort.

I might add, Randy may of spoken a few times at the two day event but he also attended the entire convention actively engaging all the other presenters afterwards during Q and A and during coffee. He stayed listening to presentation til 20 before his flight left, to which he dashed off for the plane. The same with Jamie, though he stayed in Winnipeg for an extra day after the convention.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nothing sinister. Just curious.
oh WLC, I know your hate on for Randy...

He spoke on honeybee biology, and looking into colony nutrition, parasites and diseases and how they all interact with one and another. He then spoke the next morning on practical applications beekeepers can do to help assess nutritional requirements and some of the things he does within his operation. Then he finished up that afternoon briefing us on his latest protein sub trial, leading us through his trials and talking about setting it up, and the challenges running and how they managed it.

Pretty good stuff, good old basic beekeeping. Seems to me this kind of stuff is missing from conventions lately as we are all so focused on diseases and what not.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ian: I was wondering where the title quote fits in.
He spoke for a while off the cuff during his second presentation specifically about our area of beekeeping and some of the challenges we face but also the opportunity he sees for our area and using these opportunities to address these challenges. Specifically speaking on nuc production.
He is right in a way, and we are working towards managing our issues through nuc production within our operations. His California perspective doesnt completely translate into our Manitoba conditions. But we are trying.
his comment about when was the last time you tryed something new for the first time was in regards to the ever evolving industry and reinforcing the fact that to be successful at any business model we have to be open to new ideas and change. The old adage, I do it because my father did it because thats the way my grandfather did it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts