Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hived my first 2 packages on Saturday, and I saw a few bees flying yesterday and today during our sunny and 60 degree weather. Now, at 4:00 pm and windy, nothing flying, buzzing, or crawling. The hives are quiet, which they were not before. The feed jars are a little down from yesterday. Should I pop the covers and look to see if anybody is home? Suppose I can wait until tomorrow in the 10-2 bracket, as there's not much to be done in any event.

Richard

·
Registered
378 Posts
Take a peek, " BEE " quick about it... let us know what you see

·
Registered
329 Posts
I jam my cell phone in there in video mode with the light turned on. Slide it around a little and then look at the video to see what is going without having to open the top.

Also with the bunt cake feeder it's easy to lift the lid of the feeder and look into the clear upside down retaining cup to see what is happening and if they are taking the syrup or not.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I would leave them be. Let them get settled in and the queens get laying, If you released them. If Not I would see if they out of the cage tomorrow, if not release them, and give them a week to settle in and get building your hives.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Windy, cold, and late in the day - they do get quiet. Gilligan - brilliant! Oh yeah, just give a stiff rap on the box. You should get a "whirr!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked them this morning, all good. Big cluster at the feeders and in the center of the hive, one queen not released yet but plenty of communication. Wait til the end of the week and look for comb.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am also new to beekeeping and had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I installed the 2 packages; all was well, bees everywhere and active all that day. Brought my son out the next day to show them off and there wasn't a bee to be found, none, not one flying. Thought they all left, I was bummed. It was cooler that day, not as sunny. Came back and watched the next day and it picked up. Seems very little activity in the 60 and below temps, picks up by 65-70 and is bristling at 80 and up. Hit 82 a couple days ago here and they were in-out-in-out by the dozens. Very neat to watch. Give them a few days to settle in and let it warm abit.

I hived my first 2 packages on Saturday, and I saw a few bees flying yesterday and today during our sunny and 60 degree weather. Now, at 4:00 pm and windy, nothing flying, buzzing, or crawling. The hives are quiet, which they were not before. The feed jars are a little down from yesterday. Should I pop the covers and look to see if anybody is home? Suppose I can wait until tomorrow in the 10-2 bracket, as there's not much to be done in any event.

Richard

·
Registered
244 Posts
Same thing happened to me today -- it was rainy, so I knew they wouldn't be flying, but I thought that at least I'd hear buzzing. The feed jar was empty, which was a good sign, but I couldn't see inside the hive. Grabbed a flashlight and took a good look through the obs window -- they were most definitely home! Quiet, yes, but busy on what looks like two huge pieces of fresh comb (I've got a TBH, packaged hived 1 week ago tomorrow). I was so relieved. Being a new beek is nerve-wracking:eek:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts