Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been trying the billy davis "quiet box" in concept. really it's just a nuc that i put extra frames into while i'm inspecting. it seemed more multi-use than buying a metal frame rest. but the bees sitting in the quiet box get really angry sometimes.

the same thing happens when i've separated hive bodies to do the inspection. the stack of boxes that happens to have the queen is calm. the other one reacts (flies at my face with extreme prejudice) to any little bump with the hive tool, or shadow of my arm. i wouldn't call them hot bees, they are perfectly fine until they are separated from their mother.

i know i take too long to do an inspection. am i not smoking them enough?

·
Registered
850 Posts
i've been trying the billy davis "quiet box" in concept. really it's just a nuc that i put extra frames into while i'm inspecting. it seemed more multi-use than buying a metal frame rest. but the bees sitting in the quiet box get really angry sometimes. the same thing happens when i've separated hive bodies to do the inspection. the stack of boxes that happens to have the queen is calm. the other one reacts (flies at my face with extreme prejudice) to any little bump with the hive tool, or shadow of my arm. i wouldn't call them hot bees, they are perfectly fine until they are separated from their mother. i know i take too long to do an inspection. am i not smoking them enough?
Try covering both the nuc box and the colony full boxes when they are separated- Both under and over. I find that keeps them quite calm.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you cover (as winevines says) and have an exit (maybe you already do) so if bees want to fly out they can, that may solve the defensiveness.
You didn't say how long your inspections take but seem to be saying "long"...bees detect the absence of the queen fairly quickly...I'm no expert but have seen the difference in less than 30 minutes.
Sometimes smoke is irritating, so without seeing it is hard to tell whether you are smoking enough, too little, or too much.
Some will disagree but maybe a little sugar syrup spray would keep them occupied and happy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've tried it covered and not covered. and there is a little nuc entrance hole on the side. when it's covered, all seems calm, but when i open the cover, they buzz out immediately angry-style. it surprised me the first time.

they seem to get wound-up quicker than 30 minutes. it might be only 10-15. i'll try a little sugar spray.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there's more to it than nasinoving. they are agitated. running and flying. i may be unsure about their "emotional" state (anger vs. aggressiveness vs. desperation) but they definitely build up a bit of... energy. it's not anything i can't handle. just that the quiet box seems to be about a no-stress zen. and i think i'm seeing stress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts