Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hives that will are a year old and both are doing well. They are in two deeps and have a honey super on them that they are working on. I have two new queens coming today..... I am thinking about doing two even splits. Yesterday I put all the bees in the bottom deep then added the excluder(I did this because I have never been able to find the queen- I am not sure they even exist).

So today if I get my queens I am going to take the upper deep with all the bees and make a new hive out of it.
Then on all four hives I am going to put a empty deep for them to fill out.

Here is the question - what do I do with the honey supers that I have? Just wait a few weeks for them to draw out the foundation and then add them? The honey is not capped and am worried about what to do with this stuff while they are working on the deeps.....

Thanks for any and all input

B

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would listen to the people whose judgement I trust.

If I had no one to ask, my first inclination would be to split the brood frames 50/50. Get all the bees off of half of them, shake or brush. Put that half and half of the non-brood frames in a new brood box and put it on top of everything for a day over an excluder. Move the new box and put a new queen in. Put a new deep on it in a week or two. I'd forgo a new deep on the queen right colony and let them make honey for awhile. I'm sure you can judge the merits and disadvantages.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I would even out the 2 boxes, equal brood/nectar/pollen. Leave one queenless for atleast 24 hrs, perhaps even 48 hours then introduce queen. When you introduce the new queen observe how the bees react. When they small her scent, they should all start coming up from above and begin fanning.

I would make the one you left at the original site weaker as the flyers will return there.

As far as the honey super, if they havn't worked it pull it off and wait until the 2nd box is filled out.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If you can't ever find a queen, then you would have saved a lot of trouble by not buying queens...

You can do the split and come back in two days and see which one has queen cells and figure that one is queenless...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts