Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a new hive body under the current one a few weeks ago. The reason, was they really did not have the population to occupy it but all frames were drawn. The intention was to keep An eye on it and rearrange them when the population took off. Well, they took off and occupied that bottom empty hive body. The question.... should I just leave it be, or still switch it?

todd

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Leave it. If they are drawing and using comb, they are happy. If your flow is anything like ours is at the moment, it won't take them long to fill it up in any case.

When they have most of the two boxes full, add a super. Worst case they will not draw it well, but if you have a long flow in the spring, they will.

Wait this time until they have all but a couple frames FULL of bees, honey, or pollen, not just drawn and empty, before you add more space. Otherwise they tend to leave the outside frames undrawn indefinitely.

Peter

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply peter. I actually went out to the beeyard and It wasn't as booming as I had thought. They did start to occupy it but only started on one frame. I did switch it so the new box is on top. I'll check again in two weeks and see whats happenin in there.
todd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts