Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I OAVed the hives today, how long should I wait to do a full inspection, can I do it this afternoon? (if I recall it works by depositing a later of the chem throughout the colony, I dont want to jeopardize that effect) - TIA - Mike

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Why are you doing a "FULL" inspection at this time of year? If you weigh your hive to determine if it is at a safe weight to make the winter and pull a few frames to make sure you have a laying queen, anything else you do is just destructive. Breaking apart frames late and CLEANING just breaks up the bees roads and bridges. Splitting the boxes breaks the propolis seal that the bees have used to weatherproof their nest. If your bees season has ended, your queen may have totally shut down laying. If I hadn't been feeding I am betting mine would be nearly broodless by now. Do what you feel you need but be aware/beware the downside. There is just not a lot one can do at this late date short of shaking out the colony and stacking the equipment or adding emergency feed at your latitude.

·
Registered
562 Posts
To answer your question: You can inspect it after about 10 minutes. As soon as the OA crystalizes in the colony there isn't much anything you can do to damage the effect. You may want to give it a little more time just to be safe but if you did it this morning, came inside to write that post and went back outside, that should be enough time.

Just remember to keep on top of your treatments. One treatment doesn't do much. Several treatments, 3-4 days apart, does.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To answer your question: You can inspect it after about 10 minutes. As soon as the OA crystalizes in the colony there isn't much anything you can do to damage the effect. You may want to give it a little more time just to be safe but if you did it this morning, came inside to write that post and went back outside, that should be enough time.

Just remember to keep on top of your treatments. One treatment doesn't do much. Several treatments, 3-4 days apart, does.
Thanks MntMyke, and yup, Ill do another treatment this week. Vince, I want to at least check the top deep, as they have been sucking down 2:1 like crazy and I really need to eval their stores - continue w/2:1 or not. Maybe Ill just lift and weigh with a luggage scale...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Why are you doing a "FULL" inspection at this time of year? If you weigh your hive to determine if it is at a safe weight to make the winter and pull a few frames to make sure you have a laying queen, anything else you do is just destructive. Breaking apart frames late and CLEANING just breaks up the bees roads and bridges. Splitting the boxes breaks the propolis seal that the bees have used to weatherproof their nest. If your bees season has ended, your queen may have totally shut down laying. If I hadn't been feeding I am betting mine would be nearly broodless by now. Do what you feel you need but be aware/beware the downside. There is just not a lot one can do at this late date short of shaking out the colony and stacking the equipment or adding emergency feed at your latitude.
Nice post, Vance. Keeping inspections to less than 4 minutes in the warmest part of the day minimizes heat loss and all the setbacks you mention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts