Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to find this info elsewhere in 'moving frames' threads, but those threads seemed to be about more complicated aspects.

I have two new hives from two nucs (5 frames each), installed 8 days ago into 10 frame deeps with foundation in the extra frames. Both released their queens a few days ago, both are bringing in pollen and have eaten some sugar syrup.
One hive seems to be about 30% stronger and more populated than the other.

My questions is: In a few more days would it be ok for me to just take a frame of brood with nurse bees (checking first for the queen's location of course) from the strong hive and exchange it with a foundation-only frame from the weaker hive? Will the nurse bees be readily accepted into the weaker hive? I figured I'd maybe spray the frame with bees lightly with sugar syrup?
I know I could shake the nurse bees off first, but the weaker hive could actually use some more bees, not sure if they'd have enough to easily cover the new frame of brood otherwise.

thanks for your answers. :)
Can I just put the frame of brood covered with bees into the other hive?

·
Registered
196 Posts
On a nice day when the girls are busy I’d say it is safe to just move the frame. However to be safer, I’d insert it a frame away from the weaker colony brood area for a while. Later in the day move it in along side the rest of the brood. Maybe overkill but what the heck. This size difference may be an ongoing issue because one queen is simply inferior to the other. If the colony sizes continue to be different I’d be looking to replace the inferior queen before winter.
This is why we recommend more than one hive to start with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts