Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few 5 frame nucs but this spring in addition to using those I want to take a deep and divide it in half with some sort of division board to make two 4 or 5 frame nucs out of it. Is there anyway to make a quick and easy division board using some material that I may not have thought of. I thought about making it out of cardboard but then maybe the bees might eat through it. I am intersted in some kind of quick hacks mainly if I want to do this in a hurry in the future without having to cut division boards. I do have some hardboard and will probably just cut one out of it but was interested in what material others have used to make a quick and easy divider. In this case it just has to get me through for 3 or 4 weeks till the bees fill out the 4 frames then I will move half of them to a new deep and let the other half have the whole hive by removing the temporary division board.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Bees will eventually gnaw through styrofoam. Also, styrofoam has to be fairly thick to have the mechanical strength needed. The hack I've used is to cut notches using a skillsaw into the inside of the deep to accept a piece of 3/16 plywood. I put a thick rim on top and bottom of the plywood to maintain physical strength where it butts to the bottom board and top cover.

Be sure to use two small top covers so you can open up one side or the other separately. This is critically important to avoid losing queens. The top cover can be anything from a plastic bag to a small inner cover, you decide what works best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The styrofoam like ESP 80 or 100 and 1 to 2 inches thick will survive bees. If you like ( since you can cut up a lot to have ready) you can roll them with acrylate ( waterbased) paint. I have those as simple , insulated nuc hive tops. Im in Sweden and we just got out of three weeks of -20C . still buzzing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I don't do that, but i hear Masonite works great.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do y'all reckon a corrugated election sign would work? I got a heap of 'em from the last election. I've used them for a coupla things around the beeyard.
Thanx Dave H.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've thought about this but figured I would need a bottom board with landing boards on opposing sides. Do you think you'd have a problem with both entrances on the same side?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bees will eventually gnaw through styrofoam. Also, styrofoam has to be fairly thick to have the mechanical strength needed. The hack I've used is to cut notches using a skillsaw into the inside of the deep to accept a piece of 3/16 plywood. I put a thick rim on top and bottom of the plywood to maintain physical strength where it butts to the bottom board and top cover.

Be sure to use two small top covers so you can open up one side or the other separately. This is critically important to avoid losing queens. The top cover can be anything from a plastic bag to a small inner cover, you decide what works best.
I do the same, but have learned to use these for the queen-right half of my equal splits, because when I let them make their own queen I usually only get one side with a queen.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use the election signs and just run a spacer down the center of the bottom board so the entrances are right next to each other. I then cut odd shapes out of different colored signs and pin one above each entrance to allow them to tell the difference.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use the election signs and just run a spacer down the center of the bottom board so the entrances are right next to each other. I then cut odd shapes out of different colored signs and pin one above each entrance to allow them to tell the difference.
I do have some of those coroplast signs I may try this. Can you explain the spacer thing more or have any pics? Doesn't the bottom of the election sign just rest on the bottom board?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I took a frame and just added a piece of wood around it.
Plastic frames? - yes. I shim both ends and the top with wood strips. The bees draw them out & use them - no wasted space.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Adam, I just run a saw down the inside of the box to give a channel for the sign, then add a 3/4 x3/4 piece of board with a groove down the middle to the bottom board for the sign to fit into. It makes sure there are no gaps and keeps the election sign straight

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I took a frame and just added a piece of wood around it.

Great idea. I was just about to start on some medium double nuc queen castles but will just fatten up some free plastic combs I got instead. Add two entrance discs, top and bottom and I am finished. Plus easily converted back into a super. What kind of glue best for wood to plastic? Or should I use some other material than wood for the fattening material?

Wasn't there a supplier selling a plastic expanding divider?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I use wood shim strips, and Titebond 3 to glue. Remove the wax coating with a knife or razor blade, and rough the surface with sandpaper to improve adhesion. They are holding well up so far. We'll see how they stand up to a few more years.

It's so simple, and an obvious choice if you have spare plastic frames. I don't know who came up with the idea first ( or care). I came up with it on my own, last spring. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dont think we are speaking of the same kind of styrofoam. All my hives are EPS100. ..Ants, little yes, bee no.
My lack of correct name. In Sweden we use that type under the concrete when you build houses. The hives though are bought.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts