Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made some candy, followed YouTube videos, let dry for two weeks in the house, 40% to 50% humidity. It hasn’t set-up, still “pretty much” mush. Am I wrong, or should it have become more like a hard, candy bar....or just remain “mush”? Thanks, memtb

·
Registered
969 Posts
It should be hard. I had to put mine on the stove warmer area and warm it back up for several hours. Drive out some more water. You could try the oven on low heat.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Make Lauri's sugar bricks. Follow the recipe and you will have no issues. Mine are rock hard in a matter of hours just air drying. You will find it if you search here. J

·
Registered
960 Posts
I place my sugar bricks in the oven at about 150 degrees. I wait until the oven has heated up before putting the bricks in the oven. If you put them in the oven before it has heated up, it will cause the bricks to melt due to the amount of heat given off the coils.

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
439 Posts
Since we don't know what YouTube videos you followed we don't know if you are making some type of cooked syrup/fondant or sugar brick.
Fondant production is temperature critical just like making candy.
Sugar brick recipes vary widely in amount of liquid to sugar but a tad over an ounce of liquid to a pound of sugar works well.
Pack tightly into your mold. Thicker blocks take a lot longer to dry.

·
Registered
263 Posts
if you are making candy boards you need to cook it to 242 degrees --use a candy thermometer --stir--stir --stir

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I don't know why anyone messes with fondant or candy recipes when Lauri's sugar bricks get the job done with no more effort than mixing sugar and vinegar. It dries hard and quick without heating it. Mine are about 3/4" thick. Perhaps takes a little longer to get hard if you make them thicker, but don't know why you would want them thicker. J

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
What fivej said. I bet you made them with to much wet. If you did a no heat one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I put 10 lbs of sugar in a pail - add enough water - 1 tbs. vinegar- 1 drop lemongrass oil- mix to cookie dough consistency. Spoon into cut off milk jug bottoms and put into hives with feeding rims. Works great this time of year when it's to cold to feed liquids
Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts