Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The reason I like this ProVap is it allows exact treatment doses, controlled burn , takes 30 seconds, light weight, cheap, and when you get it looks well designed and durable
The reason that Ian's burn was 30 seconds (vs 20) is that he used 4 grams in his burn, rather than the standard 2 grams (one per brood chamber).

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I see the brand I had ordered preciously is sold out. Other brands available though.

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
How many treatments (with the ProVap) can you get from that inverter/pack before it needs recharging?
Rader, the inverter is attached to the battery on a continuously running vehicle, it holds no charge of its own. It just converts the DC to AC.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Yes, the drawback to a portable 12 volt portable battery pack that also has an AC inverter is limited run time.

The 12 volt vaporizers typically draw in the range of 160 watts, the ProVap is 250 watts (plus some overhead watts consumed by the inverter itself). So one might get around half the runtime using an battery/inverter powered ProVap compared to a 12 volt vaporizer powered by that same battery pack. That is why I suggested that an inverter be used with a running engine.

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Another satisfied BeeSource customer!

Picked one of these up from Mann Lake a few weeks ago. I remember seeing a video of one about a year ago and couldnt find it again, then stumbled into it. This thing is absolutely awesome!!!!! I was REALLY p------d off with the lega and was planning on using multiple varrox vaporizers at a time this year. Not anymore

A syrup pump and this provap 110 is really going to help me expand my beekeeping operation with the limited free time I have. I suppose ill be able to manage 1/3 more hives with these tools

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yet another satisfied customer!

I purchased the vaporizer and used it for the first time yesterday. Nice product, works well and simple to use and fast!

Thx

Shane Harris
www.harrishoneybees.com

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Still another satisfied customer!

I used to use a Varrox to OAV my 10 hives. It was indeed relatively time consuming because the unit had to be in each hive for upwards of 5 minutes, and then had to cool down before the next application. It would take a couples of hours to get all the gear organized and OAV my 10 hives. Still, the OAV was super effective against the mites and didn't harm the bees.

However, for me, time is the great bottleneck, and so, even though I wouldn't call it cheap, I bought a Provap because it looked much faster. And, it is. I can OAV my 10 hives in something like 15 minutes. OAVing is now super easy. And I still enjoy the great effectivity against mites of OAV. Time the application with a broodless period and the hive is relatively mite-free for a long time with a single application.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Larry,
I just used my Provap 110 for the 1st time on newly hived packages. great product! It took longer to plug entrances etc than it did to vaporize. Has anyone trialed the efficiency of leaving the entrances open and using a larger dose of OA, similar to what they do with the VM machine?
Nick

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Has anyone trialed the efficiency of leaving the entrances open and using a larger dose of OA, similar to what they do with the VM machine? Nick
Hi Nick,
I don't know if anyone has good efficacy of doing larger doses and leaving the entrances open. Personally, I would not do so. I like to know the exact dose that I'm putting (and it's staying) into the hive.

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yet another satisfied customer!

Hi Larry, received ProVap on 4/10. Thanks for the quick shipment. Works as advertised.
Thanks again,
A. H.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi snl,

I have a couple questions. Is there a warranty for it? Can you get parts for it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
This is the best beekeeping tool I have In my kit. Low mite numbers make happy healthy bees that produce ample honey and survive the winter! this tool Makes keeping my hives that way a breeze. Thanks Larry.

I Give the Provap 110 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hi snl,

I have a couple questions. Is there a warranty for it? Can you get parts for it?

Thanks.
It is very difficult to warrant a commercial item as you don't know how crews will mistreat it (throwing it in back of trucks, leaving it out in weather etc). I will work with you on any problems. As to replacement parts, you betcha.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I did a little test of my ProVap running off my Jump starter with a 22Ah (22 amp hours) battery https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-P...34530&sr=1-3&keywords=schumacher+jump+starter and my 750 watt inverter https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-X...34665&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=schumacher+X175DU
Initially using the jump starters own readout showing per cent remaining power I treated 5 hives and it showed 95% remaining, and after 10 hives it showed 92% remaining power. I think this is just an estimate so I performed some time measurements and calculations. The wattage of my device per my Inverter digital readout is 287 watts, so calculated amperage is 23.9 amps at 12 volts (or 2.39 amps at 120 volts). So 22Ah Battery would provide 55 minutes of power at 23.9 amps to drain the battery completely. Most batteries last longest with a lesser DOD (depth of discharge) a shallow cycle lead acid battery will last about 500 cycles with a DOD of 50% and over 1200 cycles at a DOD of 30%. 50% DOD would be 27 minutes of operation and 30% would be 16.5 minutes. So I timed how much each treatment would require and how much time to warm up the device initially. Warm up required 3 minutes and 50 seconds and each treatment took 1 minute and 5 seconds to fully cycle back up to operating temperature. So for 16.5 minutes of operating time (30% DOD) my battery (22Ah) would last one warm up and 10.85 treatments, leaving 70% left of battery power. Assuming a 50% DOD that would power one warm up and 21 treatments.
A deep cycle battery will last over 1,000 cycles at a DOD of 50% or a 44AH battery would output double the power and time of operation. My 22AH jump starter weighs 26 lbs., the 44AH model weighs 45 lbs.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4WGN2/ref=psdc_318336011_t3_B000N4UQL6
Bottom line the ProVap works great using a manageable portable battery and inverter.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
This is the best beekeeping tool I have In my kit. Low mite numbers make happy healthy bees that produce ample honey and survive the winter! this tool Makes keeping my hives that way a breeze. Thanks Larry.

I Give the Provap 110 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
And Tenbears, very happy beekeepers too.

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yet another satisfied customer. This one uses the ProVap 220 (Same as the ProVap 110, just runs from 220v) in New Zealand

Hi Larry,

We have got two of your machines now and have been quite happy with them.
We have probably used them both about 700 times.

Thanks
Regards
Mirjam

41 - 60 of 97 Posts