Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to start my first 2 hives in my yard next spring in Tulsa, Ok. We have hot summer weather. I am in an urban/neighborhood setting. To me, the most important factor is to have gentle bees.

What kind of bees should I get? From what apiary? I am interested in New World Carniolians. Can they take hot summmers? Should I just stick with Italians? If so, what sellers have GENTLE Italians.

I understand that every race of bees can give rise to mean hives, but I want to stack the deck in my favor to the greatest extent possible.

Also, should I get nucs or packages?

Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
They claim that cordovan's are the most gentle, and I would buy nucs if you could. They have a good head start with brood.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
although this is a strategy that would likely not provide you with the most gentle bee in oklahoma... why not simply wait until one of those semi's-loaded with honeybees- turns over out on the interstate and just go out there and pick up a hive or so. seems like it happens about every spring in or around tulsa.

most folks in the southern us raise itialians for reasons that you seem to recognize. this does not mean that you cannot pick and choose just about any race of bees that your heart desires and likely have some success.

given your location I would likely pm magnet man and see what he thinks. he may even be able to point you to a fairly local choice. who ever you acquire your first hives from, be very forthwrite in stating that you favor workability over productivity. these are not necessarily exclusive characteristics, but an honest supplier will very much try to provide you with what you want (and not just what they have).

·
Registered
335 Posts
ndvan,
Might be worth your time to stop by and visit with the guy that lives just South of Glenpool on the East side of 169. You can see his hives set up on the pond dam and he advertises bees and honey. I agree with tecumseh, send a PM to magnet man also.....local bees would always be my preference (besides, you can observe the bees first hand to decide if they are docile enough for you).

David

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Its been my experience that New World Carniolians are on average more gentle than Italians and would be my first choice for an urban setting. Find a breeder that maintains stock as close to Cobey's original recipe as possible. Regarding NWC and high temps...well SE Virginia gets very hot and I've been running NWC for about 4 years and consider them very heat tolerant. Certainly don't rule them out because they do well in cooler regions. Its been my experience, having NWC and Italians in the same apiary, that they do as well, perhaps even better, than other races in the same heat.

Any race of bee has the potential of problems in a urban setting - do your homework and learn the issues.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
It is a bit of a crap shoot getting gentle bees although definately go with some stock that at least has some track record of gentleness. Probably the most important factor in weather the bees will be a nuisance is if they are located in such a spot that their flight path is directly over a roadway or, worse yet a sidewalk or someones yard. Remember that bees will always fly up before they find their way through obstacles such as trees and bushes, any kind of barrier to force them up (building, trees etc.) is desirable. Also "out of sight out of mind" definately applies to bee hives.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
jlyon sezs:
"out of sight out of mind"

tecumseh replies:
years back it became the fad in certain urban setting to place bee hives on the roof of fairly flat topped buildings and thereby getting the bees up above the human traffic. I always suspect that removing the surplus must have been a real head ache.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm sold on Russians for being gentle and VM resistance, but at the reduced rate of $80.00/4 frame nuc from one of the USDA/ARS Bee Lab breeders I know through my bee club, they are a bit pricey still. Back in the summer, my Russian colony discovered the hole in the butt end of my suit before I did! They do seem to enjoy crawling on you.

I also have Italians and Buckfast F1 hybrids which are pretty gentle. One Buckfast F1 colony however has learned to attack me when I take my suit off a hundred feet away at my Jeep. Seach and Destroy attitude!

The amount of my Christmas bonus from my day job in two weeks will determine if this April I'll be getting 8 Russian nucs or 8 Buckfast F1 nucs. I would get some Italians if I could find them in nucs near Baton Rouge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts