Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought out a bee keeping business, mostly for the honey extracting equipment. I got in the deal a dadant mini melter. I've used it a couple of times so far, but was curious if anyone there used one regularly. I'm trying to get operating it dialed in and have some questions. Firstly, when extracting smaller quantities of honey, (300- 400lbs)(yes I'm still a sideliner), it seems like this is too small a quantity to really warrant using this equipment. Is it meant for high volumes of honey and cappings? I extracted 700lbs the other day and it started to work as described in the manual.
When I finish uncapping, and have a bunch of cappings and honey still in the mini melter, should I fill the melter with honey as it describes in the manual to melt the last of the cappings? I'm afraid of burning the crap out of the honey and this thing holds a lot. Otherwise just letting the cappings drain without using the melter seems very inefficient, and I'd be better off going back to using an uncapping tank. I use a hot knife right know, but am dreaming of a chain uncapper.
Any advice anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have one of these, but the only thing I do with it is to settle honey in it. My suggestion would be to get on the phone with Dadant, I am sure they will be able to give you more information.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Habutti. Do you uncap into it and then let the honey settle from the cappings while being warmed by the jacket? Or did you mean you just put honey in it and use as a settling tank?
I'll call dadant today.
Julian

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I haven't used the mini melter but have used the big Dadant melter; same principle. As you found, it takes a lot of honey to get wax up to the melting grid so it's not much help with smaller quantities. I would continue to uncap into a capping tank and drain the cappings, then melt in a solar wax melter or other small melter. When using the mini melter keep the water jacket temp LOW, or you'll turn your honey dark, dark, DARK! ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Fish Stix
I just talked with Dadant and they say the same thing. I'm thinking you have to uncap at least about 500lbs of honey for it to start performing as desired. the more you put through it after that I think makes it work much better. So back to the uncapping tank for me I think. Next year though!!
Thanks for the help.
Julian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts